300WSM build opinions.

I built my 7SS on a LA and regretted it from the beginning. It is a slightly different beast, but, you will have issues with magazines. Maybe split the difference and go with a Med/XM action? That is what I am thinking when I finally get around to building a 300WSM. Good luck.
7SS was designed to be run in a SA. Big difference in case length between 7SS and 300WSM. COAL with the heavies in 300WSM is way longer unless you want to shove them halfway down the powder column.

L-R:
SST, SS, SAUM, PRC, PRC/SI, WSM
20230813_123728.jpg

7SS was designed to be run in a SA. Big difference in case length between 7SS and 300WSM. COAL with the heavies in 300WSM is way longer unless you want to shove them halfway down the powder column.

L-R:
SST, SS, SAUM, PRC, PRC/SI, WSM
yep, hence the "It's a slightly different beast" comment. Too much space in the mag created big issues for me. I do a few things to try to fix it, then moved on to 7mm PRC only to realize I wanted to stick with my 7SS. Moved it to SA and built a 33 Nosler for the LA.

To me if you're going LA you might as well choose something that can hold some more powder. Maybe a medium action makes more sense for the WSM? Just my take.

The rifle is a s20 so I don't think I will have an issue with feeding, as I can get magazines that have the same external dimensions with shorter internals.

Also I do plan have other barrels cut in the next year or two for the rifle, they will either be PRCs or Sherman cartridges. I will definitely be looking into other cartridges later but, I already have everything to load the wsm on hand that is really what made me start looking into what other people were doing with it performance wise in a long action.

Go for it. Sounds like you should further your discussions with your Smith about the chamber cut. I went down the same road with a 270WSM built on a long action (just finished it). No issues with feeding at all. I'm running a Hawkins Hunter M5 bottom metal with their magazine. They sell a spacer that fills part of the LA mag and it feeds flawlessly. My Smith and I decided on a total of .200 free bore.

Recent Posts