.300wm bullet .730 bc

freezingduck

I have been looking at the 210gr spitzer nosler accubond long range.
They claim a bc of .730.
Has anyone tried this bullet?
How is it for long range bear, elk, moose?
The Bc seems amaingly high compared to all other manufacturers.....

Have you tried ...

LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg

Give it a .612 G1 BC for long range. Up close the thin jacket with the tip expands very rapidly. Faster than any bullet I have seen. So watch the up close shots to shoulders especially if used with upper end muzzle velocities over 2900.

Jeff

I have been looking at the 210gr spitzer nosler accubond long range.
They claim a bc of .730.
Has anyone tried this bullet?
How is it for long range bear, elk, moose?
The Bc seems amaingly high compared to all other manufacturers.....

Get the specifics by doing the search like FEENIX stated but here is the short version.

BC's are overstated but they are likely still good enough to be worthwhile if they shoot well and perform terminally. Problem is quite a few folks are having issues with those 2 aspects as well. Some of it is tied to the bullets being shot in the real barn burner cartridges when velocities are getting beyond 3-3200 fps or so. It sounds like twist rate is playing a real factor too with accuracy results. So guys are just going to have to try them out in their specific gun. The open cavity behind the tip is causing pretty rapid expansion, again especially at the higher velocities, so it looks like to me that as with other bullets there is going to be a high and low velocity band where these will perform well but outside of that you are going to have to be real careful.

Scot E.

Sorry about that:-(
In norway, we have to use a controlled expansion bullet.
Is there any other good alternatives for long range in a 300wm or rum?

Sorry about that:-(
In norway, we have to use a controlled expansion bullet.
Is there any other good alternatives for long range in a 300wm or rum?

The ABLR is technically a controlled expansion bullet. The standard 200 gr AB is a "more controlled" expansion bullet with lower BC.

I would not recommend close shots from the 300 RUM using the ABLR.

Can you use the VLD for moose and big bears?
Or is it to unpredictable?
Would you get any questions from the guides if they find out that you are using VLD?
Thinking that they never actually check your rifle ammo in Norway, but they might in other countrys.
I am thinking that the 300wm would be a better choice for me up to 1000yds.
The rifle may see shots from 200-1000yds.

and yes, I have read 100s of reviews on both sides on the VLD, but I would like to use the same bullet for everything, and high BC is one of my most important aspects when looking for a long range rifle.

Can you use the VLD for moose and big bears?
Or is it to unpredictable?
Would you get any questions from the guides if they find out that you are using VLD?
Thinking that they never actually check your rifle ammo in Norway, but they might in other countrys.
I am thinking that the 300wm would be a better choice for me up to 1000yds.
The rifle may see shots from 200-1000yds.

I would not use frangible VLD's on moose or big bears, They can get the job done with a good shot but too many uncertainties for me. For moose and big bears with a bullet with good BC, the 200 AB is your best bet. Anf for big bears, like Alaska coastal bears, I would use a bigger cal. A lot of guides require a minimum of 375.

It means that bullets used for big game (larger than small deer) must have a minimum weight of 140gr and expand, not fragment while maintaining most of its original weight.
6,5x55 is one of the most popular calibers due to the good ballistics, but sadly most hunters only shoot the mandatory 35rds a year at 100m and they have no idea what bc is.
They keep buying 4.000 $ rifles not including optics in 6,5x55 and using bullets that has a chunk of lead hanging of the tip to either side and claiming that they have an ultimate long range setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.