300Win load help

Thanks! I'm not interested in the powder in the Superperformace powder per say. I'm only interested in achieving they 3130 they claim that their factory round produces with SSTs.
I do want to use the 180 SST. I have several good loads in the 2600-2800 fps range but want to push that up some!
Hopefully you know that Hornady ammunition almost never matches on a chronograph the speeds that they claim on the box. For example I have one of their 200 round ammo cans of 155 grain .308, they claim 2700fps and it actually chronos around 2500fps on a MagnetoSpeed in testing. The H1000 or RL26 will give you those speeds with which ever bullet you use out of a 26" barrel. You will lose a few fps with a shorter barrel of course.
What are you using for powder now?

I'll do that but still won't know the type or amount of powder in the load. That's the dilemma.
That you will never know. Every manufacturer uses their own blend. What you will know is whether those speeds are achievable with the advertised load in your rifle. That might set your new target speed assuming they shoot well

Hopefully you know that Hornady ammunition almost never matches on a chronograph the speeds that they claim on the box. For example I have one of their 200 round ammo cans of 155 grain .308, they claim 2700fps and it actually chronos around 2500fps on a MagnetoSpeed in testing. The H1000 or RL26 will give you those speeds with which ever bullet you use out of a 26" barrel. You will lose a few fps with a shorter barrel of course.
What are you using for powder now?
H1000 pushing a psp at 2960

Powder variety for slow burning powders is scarce. I like extruded powders for my .300WM. H4831 & VN165 are available now. Powder Valley has VN 165 and I am using that with 178 Hornady ELDM's. My velocities with VN 165 & the 178's are slightly over 3,000. VN 165 is a single base extruded powder, short grain, temp change resistant - good stuff.

Powder variety for slow burning powders is scarce. I like extruded powders for my .300WM. H4831 & VN165 are available now. Powder Valley has VN 165 and I am using that with 178 Hornady ELDM's. My velocities with VN 165 & the 178's are slightly over 3,000. VN 165 is a single base extruded powder, short grain, temp change resistant - good stuff.
Thanks for you perspective but only interested in data for Hornady 180 SST @3100+ fps

Are you shooting SSTs? What does SD 8 mean?
SD means standard deviation
ES means extreme spread
These terms are used to measure the consistency of your loaded ammunition. The lower the numbers, the more consistent your reloads will be, which in most situations results in more accurate ammunition however there are exceptions to the rule. The lower numbers usually are associated with better accuracy at longer ranges and repeatability. You can use the recommended powder charges in the reloading manuals and the various components manufacturers websites for bullets in similar weight classes. Starting with the lowest charges listed and carefully increasing the charges until you are satisfied with the results, a chronograph is very helpful in load development. Since you posted your fps that you are getting I assume that you have a reliable chronograph. If you're wanting to use the SST bullets then pick a good powder and go from there. The powders that were recommended to use by the guys posting on this post are pretty good and unfortunately not everything is going to be available in this environment that we are in. I have had good luck with IMR 4350 with 180 grain class bullets in the 300WM and I've seen it available lately. Reloading is not that hard, no need to over complicate things. Good components, attention to detail, and consistency are key IMO.

To Gobbler ^

Good idea to buy several manuals & a chronograph. On-line load data sites like Hodgden & Nosler will help in reaching that goal of 3,100 fps plus with a 180 SST - provided components like powder & primers can be found. Your efforts to obtain your goal will be fruitless without acquiring knowledge of how things work. Like read your friendly manual.

Last edited:
I shoot a 300 WM and I'm looking for load data ( powder type and amount) to give me a load pushing 3000-3150 fps using a Hornady 180 SST. Anyone have a good set of load data to share??
A mag primer and rl22 or 7828 will do it in ww brass in a 24 inch barrel; I've been using either for a couple decades now. Any powder in the 4831 to retumbo burn rate should get you to around 3100fps in a 300win. They just aren't that fussy.