300WBY with 210 Bergers

scmacdon

I am new to berger bullets and just started to experiment with loads. Just wondering if anyone has any input on 300WBY loads. I am using 85 gr of H-1000 with 210 bergers. Have not been to the range yet but have loads into the lands as well as well as .010 .050 .090 and .130 off the lands. A few test shot through the chrony and I'm, at 3150 fps. Not to shabby. With 85 gr I don't see any pressure signs yet. Berger says max is 80.5. Just wondered if anyone has any other loads or info that might be usefull. I am also thinking of trying Retumbo. Have a range that we shoot from 100 to 800 yds.

Shoot your loads at distance and see if you can verify your velocity. I just shot my 215's today at 700 yards out of my 300 rum and I had a chrono velocity of around 3200. My drops didn't match the velocity and when I got done playing with the number in my exbal program, it looks like I am right at 3100.

Shoot your loads at distance and see if you can verify your velocity. I just shot my 215's today at 700 yards out of my 300 rum and I had a chrono velocity of around 3200. My drops didn't match the velocity and when I got done playing with the number in my exbal program, it looks like I am right at 3100.
I will have to do that for sure. Are you you using H 1000? I have not tried retumbo but what the berger manual says, i should be able to get a little better fps with around the same grains.

I am shooting 93grs of retumbo with my 215's. I have a friend that is doing some load development with his 300 wby and he is using IMR 4831. He got up to 3100 but had pressure signs. He backed off to 2960 and is shooting a very tight group. Every chamber is different though and wby's usually like to have a bit of free bore to get the best velocity.

Give RL-25 a try. All of my 1000 yard BR tubes that are chambered up for the 300 WBY shoot their absolute best with RL-25 and the 210 VLD. I have one 300 WBY tube that didn't make the cut as a match tube (and RL-25) came alive in a big way with Retumbo. That is my LR deer poker. I have since switched to the 230 Hybird in this tube. I am not going to experement with the 230 in my current match tubes...just not enough life left in them to make it worth while.

Good luck!

Tod

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.