210 Bergers in 300WinMag

Kennibear

After reading this online site for over a year I and my youngest son are about to try the 210gr Berger VLD Hunting 308's in his 300 WinMag Rem SPS w/ 26" barrel. Yes, I know we are late to this party but some of us don't move out of the mud very fast!

Found 3 lbs of Retumbo at the local Sportco and we would like to confine the loads to Retumbo powder. Case: Winchester, primer: Federal #215.

Current best 200 gr load is: Sierra 200gr GMK, 75gr IMR 7828, Fed #215, Win case. It yields 2930fps, 9fps SD, 21fps ES and a Max pressure of +62Kpsi (Pressure Trace II). It is a lovely load but the Bergers will out run it at longer range.

Thanks in advance for your input. If you know the jump to the rifling that would help too. Please stick to Retumbo as most other powders are unobtainable right now. H1000, RL 19-22-25, and some of the VihtaVuori powders are on they "buy on sight" list.

KB

I shot them in my 300 Win. with H-1000 and H4831sc. I was around 73gns. with the H1000 and 70 gns with the 4831sc. They were both very accurate. I switched to the 215 Hybrid and didn't look back. There is a very informative thread about both bullets by Broz.

Jay

I've found good Retumbo loads with 215s and 230s, but never 210s. My 215 load is 77.5 at Mag length OAL running 2920 fps. The ES wasn't great though, and I switched to H4831SC at 50 fps for single digit ES and about 50 fps less velocity. I'd be comfortable running the Retumbo load in a pinch though. I think your load will end up right around 78-79 grains depending on your brass. You can also try some 7828 if you have it. Start at .010 or closer to the lands with the VLD, find your powder charge, then work your seating depth. You may not need to adjust the depth. The VLDs will show you where they want to shoot.

Greyfox on here running the 210s over 79 grains of Retumbo with a Fed 215 in Norma brass in a Rem 700 5r I believe he is .010 off the lands. He may chime in here.

For 200 to 210 grain projectiles Your accuracy node is going to be right at 2885 to 2900 fps. Your rifle might have one more accuracy node above that but I have found on all the 300 win mags I have loaded for that it is rare. H 1000 has worked great for me and 7828. You will have good luck with retumbo but that is better suited for the 230 bergers. I have only used 210m primers in my 300 win mags

Not trying to hijack this tread. Hopefully the more questions and info will be viewed as a positive thing to the original poster of this thread. I too have been stuck in the mud shooting lighter bullets in the 300 win mag. The rifle I will be working a load up for is a 300 win mag with a 26 inch bench mark barrel, plus muzzle break. Bullets I have considered are both the 190 and 210 vld hunting and the 200 nosler accura bond. As every one is aware of powder is hard to find, so I ended up with some imr 7828. Any advise. thank you

Not trying to hijack this tread. Hopefully the more questions and info will be viewed as a positive thing to the original poster of this thread. I too have been stuck in the mud shooting lighter bullets in the 300 win mag. The rifle I will be working a load up for is a 300 win mag with a 26 inch bench mark barrel, plus muzzle break. Bullets I have considered are both the 190 and 210 vld hunting and the 200 nosler accura bond. As every one is aware of powder is hard to find, so I ended up with some imr 7828. Any advise. thank you

The 7828 will work great for any of those bullets. For the VLDs, start at .010 or closer to the lands, and for the Accubonds start at about .015 off the lands and work your load up.

I use the 210's with Retumbo in my 24" Rem Milspec 300WM. My load is 79gr using Norma brass, Fed 215 primers, seated .010" off the lands. My Velocity is 2900FPS with an ES of 8FPS. This load produces .25-.5 MOA. Using Winchester brass, I would start a few grains lower since the case capacity is about 2.5 gr less then the Norma brass.

Thanks GreyFox!

My son's Rem 700 has a full length (3.60") blind mag so it can be long loaded. Berger lists 79.6 grains as top but 2900 fps is as good as 7828 developed with SMK's. For everyone suggesting 7828 I would like to add we have used it with 200 SMK's and there is room left over. Velocity is good but there remains potential in that space. We will check the length to jammed this weekend and proceed from there. Your numbers for seating depth will be followed.

KB

Thanks GreyFox!

My son's Rem 700 has a full length (3.60") blind mag so it can be long loaded. Berger lists 79.6 grains as top but 2900 fps is as good as 7828 developed with SMK's. For everyone suggesting 7828 I would like to add we have used it with 200 SMK's and there is room left over. Velocity is good but there remains potential in that space. We will check the length to jammed this weekend and proceed from there. Your numbers for seating depth will be followed.

KB

I can't fault you for wanting to try something new. I do it all the time. Just know that because there is room left over doesn't mean anything other than it's more dense than other slow burners. If you have a great load with 7828 don't scrap it because there is space left in the case. My best 300 Win load for 215s carries 72.5-73.0 grains of H4831sc. Believe me, there is space left in the case.

Thanks GreyFox!

KB

I have used 7828 with good results but have found that in my rifle, Retumbo has given me the lowest ES, and excellent temperature stability which ranges from 15-80 degrees through my shooting season. It does fill the case, and there are no pressure signs. This same load also produces the same velocity, ES, and accuracy using 210 Nosler Long Rang Accubonds seated .050" off the lands but I have not yet tested them past 500 yards. The 210 Bergers shoot very well, tested out to 1450 yards.

Not opposed to 7828 or < 100% load density. But this site has many contributors who have had great success with Retumbo. I use 4350 in 30/06 because it delivers high velocity and excellent uniformity and it is <100%. I prefer 7828 to 4831 but have used 4831 a lot in the past.
We would like to try H1000 also but it is only slightly more available than unobtainium barrels.
The local Sportsman's Warehouse has Berger 210 VLD Hunting 308's in large packs so if this pans out, and everything points to that outcome, quantity purchases are possible. Today that is a good thing.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.