300UM Load

KodiakHntr

Okay, new to the 300UltraMag. I need a starting point for an accurate load with a Barnes bullet. Either the XLC, or the TSX.
What I want to do with this rifle is shoot Northern BC deer (both flavours), elk, black bears, and moose (mostly immature bulls). At ranges of 30 meters to 500 meters. Tall order, I know. I'm thinking of maybe the 168 TSX. Any opinions? Pro's or Con's?
I've used Barnes XFB's in my .264mag for years, and killed everything I've pointed it at with one shot from ground squirrels to moose using 140gr bullets, to one big whitetail this fall with the 130gr, and absolutely loved them.
So who is using these bullets, and more importantly, who has hammered an incoming whitetail at close range with a "lightweight" X bullet (150 - 180gr) out of an ultra mag, and what was the meat damage like?

Any and all input will be appreciated,
Dave

I have loaded the 180 TXS in the 300 RUM using Federal cases, federal 215 primers and 96 grains of Retumbo for over 3300 fps. I had one lot of Retumbo that I was able to load up to 99.5 grains, but my present lot does not allow this.

Start at about 90 grains and work up.......

[ QUOTE ]
Ty for the reply,
so what make of rifle are you loading that in, and what signs of excessive pressure did you see when you were working up to that 99grains?

[/ QUOTE ]

My original work up gave no problems at 99.5 grains no problems that I could see, but with a different batch of Retumbo 99.5 grians blew primers and I settled on 96 grains My rifle is a M-70 action with a Krieger barrel <font color="pink"> </font>

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts