300rum

Smaller like coyote and hogs....but i may get the urge to go try a muley, pronghorn..or something else. Is the 300RUM hard on barrels?

The nice thing about a 300 RUM is that it will do it all. Heavy loads for Elk and Moose (200 or 225 grain bullets), medium loads for deer size game (160 to 180). and you can buy loads called Managed Recoil from Remington or load them your self (They are about the same as a 30/06 with 150 grain bullets).

The 300 RUM is not hard on barrels unless you over heat it buy shooting large numbers of ammo fast. Even then it is not terrible.

The RUM seems to be very forgiving for different loads. But for the heavy loads you will probably
want to install a good muzzle brake. I have a sporter weight 300 RUM and have gotten it down to under 11 ft/lbs of recoil with a tuned brake.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I have a 7RM Sendero and I like it more and more as I shoot it. I put a brake on it for funsies. Holy crap is that awesome. With a fairly reasonable recoiling rifle in the first place, now it is fantastic. A goofy little thing that I like about it is I can load the 180 gr Berger hybrids out to the lands and still fit them in the magazine. I think some of the other calibers struggle a little with this. Not a big thing but kinda nice. Mine is shooting .5-.6 MOA at 100 right now. Gonna stretch it out to 400 here in the next couple weeks to get a rough idea of velocity figured for drops. Then I can see if they stabilize alright before I take it out to the ranch and fine tune some drops out to 1000. Great caliber in my opinion

Thinking about getting into a better long range rig, or at least someting longer than my current 400yrds.
The 300RUM caught my eye when looking at ballistics in the Hornady hand book.
Whats the good-bad-ugly with this cartridge? I was thinking about getting in the 700 Sendero..
It's a great caliber but not a good choice for someone learning the long range game who needs to put a lot of rounds down range.

I own two of them and love them but the 300wm would be a much better choice to start with. Less recoil, much cheaper to load for, and much better availability of quality brass.

You can load 300wm for roughly 60% of what you can load 300 Rum and have about twice the barrel life along with far less problems dealing with recoil.

Personally I think if you want to start out in the LR game and do a lot of shooting you'd be better off starting out with a .260 rem or .308win. It's a lot cheaper education going that route and unless elk and big bears are high on your short list they'll kill pretty much anything you can hit well with them dirt dead.

The nice thing about a 300 RUM is that it will do it all. Heavy loads for Elk and Moose (200 or 225 grain bullets), medium loads for deer size game (160 to 180). and you can buy loads called Managed Recoil from Remington or load them your self (They are about the same as a 30/06 with 150 grain bullets).

The 300 RUM is not hard on barrels unless you over heat it buy shooting large numbers of ammo fast. Even then it is not terrible.

The RUM seems to be very forgiving for different loads. But for the heavy loads you will probably
want to install a good muzzle brake. I have a sporter weight 300 RUM and have gotten it down to under 11 ft/lbs of recoil with a tuned brake.

J E CUSTOM
I'll have to agree with that. Even my light carry model 70 300 Rum is very manageable with a good brake on it. But then we're not recoil sensitive :D.

I'll make the same recommendation I always do. If a guy is thinking of shooting anything bigger than the 7mm STW or 300wm it's a great idea to find someone that has a rifle in the caliber you are looking at who will let you try shooting it before dosing out the big bucks.

Cannonitis gets very expensive which is why there are so many low mileage used 300 Rums and bit 338's for sale at a bargain.

J E CUSTOM

I have several good brakes that Jerry speaks of and one of then happens to be on a 300 rum. Jerry has taken my custom 300 RUM from a fire breathing dragon to a mouse. His custom Assassin Brakes are tuned for your load and are extremely effective at reducing recoil. My 300 rum with out the brake gives 45 lbs of recoil without the brake, with the brake it's 14 lbs of recoil. My 12 year old loves shooting it. These brakes are built to order too!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 76
I have a 7 rem mag a 7 stw and a 300 rum all excellent guns. To say a rum is done in 500 rounds is a blanket statement that I hear all too often. I had 1300+ rounds thru mine before I had it built into a custom rifle and it still shot very well. My gunsmith looked down the bore with his borescope and let me look also. The rifling was cracked and there was erosion on the throat. The **** thing was still shooting 5/8 groups @ 100 yds like this. It is now a brux barrel with brake and is a great shooter under 1/2 moa.

I understand wanting a bad *** rifle but trust me, once you start feeding them it takes some of the fun out. Don't seem to matter though, I have a 700 Sendero 300 ultra I likely don't need too. When it's all said and done it ain't what you need that counts, but what you want:).

If you like burnin lots of powder and shootin far far away it will do both very well. It will kill them antlerless deer real good too.:rolleyes:
I agree. There's lots of rifles in my safe that I don't need to kill animals...But part of it is the want-factor. That's what makes it fun. Get what you want.

However, there is a point where I'd say someone might go overboard, for example, shooting a coyote with a .300 RUM... That's entirely overkill to get that job done. And hogs can be killed out to 750-800 yards (maybe further) with a good accurate .30-06 and 180-185gr bullets.

Want and need are very subjective. Buy what you want, but only if you're prepared to reap ALL of the of what you must sow that comes with the territory. For example, low barrel life on the RUM caliber, large appetite (100+ grains of powder), huge muzzle blast, lots of recoil, and alot of people like me telling you that you don't need one to get the job done. :D

But, if that's what you want, go for it.

Honestly from what you've said so far in the 2 pages I've read, I think like mentioned before, a 7mm RemMag would suite you just fine. You can shoot fast 120gr bullets for coyotes, and you can shoot 168gr bullets for deer and 180's for long range.

I'm not here to sway you on any caliber one way, or the other... Just making sure you've thought everything through before pulling the trigger, so to speak.

Thanks for the input guys.., I just want flat....just flat shooting too say......800yards. BUT I dont want to rebarrel or spend big money on reloading. I know HORSEPOWER cost money, but i can wish, I think i will go .243 for now, then someday look bigger faster badder meaner..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.