300RUM budget upgrade question #2

dirtydog

I am upgrading my Rem 700 300 RUM and am considering the scope. Id like to be able to dial out to 600-900 yds. I currently have a Leupold VXII 6-18 x40. I am considering sending the scope back to Leupold to change the reticle and have them add the CDS turret. the upgrade would be roughly $300. Would I be better off selling the leupold and saving the $ 300 to put towards a Vortex or something similar?
Does anyone have any experience using the Leupold CDS BDC dial system?

I have the CDS dials on 2 of my scopes and they are great for hunting. They are fairly spendy if you don't buy the CDS-equipped scope to begin with however. I like Leupold scopes for their light weight and good quality but I will admit their reticles are lacking and the turrets are not stellar. I use the Vortex PST on several rifles and its really hard to beat for the price. Great turrets and reticles on those scopes. They are a little heavier than the Leupolds but you can find the 4-16x50 SFP for around $500-550 without too much effort. You can have a custom label or a custom turret made for your Vortex scope with your own ballistic info if you want.

I would sell the VXII and spend the money on a Vortex (or similar) with a MOA reticle. CDS and BCD reticles can have issues past 600 yards with elevation, barometer, temp, etc. This is because the CDS and BDC are usually tuned to a particular environment. That is usually not a big issue under 600 yards for hunting, but could well be at longer distances.

Plus, what if you changed your load? CDS would then have to change too.

Yes sale the VXII. as stated past 600 yards the CDS isn't consistent enough to be worth it in my opinion.

Buy a Vortex HST 6-24 $600 new! Can't beat them for a budget build nothing else is close for clarity, tracking repeatability, and warranty. gun)

Budget and RUM don't really go well together though LOL

unnamed.jpg

just picked up the viper hs the guy there said to get custom tapes because your bullet/powder may change and then your turrets will not work. and they are cheaper.

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.