300RUM Accuracy or Lose a little Accuracy but more FPS

baydog

Hello everyone! I know you guys have got to be tired of me asking so many questions about my Remington Sendero 300 Ultra Mag but all the answers and opinions I get from here help me find the answer to my questions or problems and also help me to understand the gun better and why the solutions are best for my problem or question and I appreciate this website and everyone's help.. so with that being said I sure do like this gun..a LOT!!...I have a Sendero in 7 mag and that has been my favorite for a long time but I don't think I shot it 6 times this hunting season..The problem I have is choosing what load to pick because the loads I tested almost all seemed to do good. I started with 82 gr of Retumbo with a 215gr Berger bullet and worked all the way up to 93gr of Retumbo loading 3 rounds of each. I shot 3 round of each load and would try to shoot 2 different loads a day at least 1/2 hour apart for each different load group of 3. I sighted the gun in sort of in the middle of the road as far as different powder charges and aimed at the bulls eye each shot to be consistent and be able to see the change in each powder charge change. So 86gr of retumbo is what i used to sight the gun in and i was shooting a 2 inch group at 200 yard but when during my testing the 86gr charge seem to be one of the not so good group even though I thought that was probably be a good load for the gun because it shot so consistent when sighting the gun in.. so yes the lightest charge at 83gr seemed to shoot the lowest and the tightest and of course the heavier the powder charge the higher the gun shot...Nope I didn't have the same conditions each day I shot but I live in the woods and have a 200 yard range set up that is blocked from a lot of the wind if it is any. I guess my question is that It's pretty clear to see that the 83gr charge was the lowest and tightest but the 91 and 93 gr charge shoots way higher so to me it will shoot further and I could probably work with them 2 loads and possibly tighten the group up by playing with bullet depth and adding or taking away a 1/2 of grain of powder..so FPS and possibly shooting further or not shooting as far but tighter group???? I added a picture of the target for you to see the results. I used the old targets to place over the target that I have posted and tried to mark each hole and the powder charge. I did it this way to try to make it a little neater to see the groups..
Thanks everyone!
Scotty

Attachments

• NCM_0942.jpg
    NCM_0942.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
hello everyone! I know you guys have got to be tired of me asking so many questions about my remington sendero 300 ultra mag but all the answers and opinions i get from here help me find the answer to my questions or problems and also help me to understand the gun better and why the solutions are best for my problem or question and i appreciate this website and everyone's help.. So with that being said i sure do like this gun..a lot!!...i have a sendero in 7 mag and that has been my favorite for a long time but i don't think i shot it 6 times this hunting season..the problem i have is choosing what load to pick for this 300rum because the loads i tested almost all seemed to do good. I started with 82 gr of retumbo with a 215gr berger bullet and worked all the way up to 93gr of retumbo loading 3 rounds of each. I shot 3 round of each load and would try to shoot 2 different loads a day at least 1/2 hour apart for each different load group of 3. I sighted the gun in sort of in the middle of the road as far as different powder charges and aimed at the bulls eye each shot to be consistent and be able to see the change in each powder charge change. So 86gr of retumbo is what i used to sight the gun in and i was shooting a 2 inch group at 200 yard but when during my testing the 86gr charge seem to be one of the not so good group even though i thought that was probably be a good load for the gun because it shot so consistent when sighting the gun in.. So yes the lightest charge at 83gr seemed to shoot the lowest and the tightest and of course the heavier the powder charge the higher the gun shot...nope i didn't have the same conditions each day i shot but i live in the woods and have a 200 yard range set up that is blocked from a lot of the wind if it is any. I guess my question is that it's pretty clear to see that the 83gr charge was the lowest and tightest but the 91 and 93 gr charge shoots way higher so to me it will shoot further and i could probably work with them 2 loads and possibly tighten the group up by playing with bullet depth and adding or taking away a 1/2 of grain of powder..so fps and possibly shooting further or not shooting as far but tighter group???? I added a picture of the target for you to see the results. I used the old targets to place over the target that i have posted and tried to mark each hole and the powder charge. I did it this way to try to make it a little neater to see the groups..
Thanks everyone!
Scotty
sorry for not making my self clear but the 300rum is the gun i have the question about
thanks
scotty

Attachments

• NCM_0944.jpg
    NCM_0944.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 81
Accuracy. We are talking long range here right?

It is also less stressful on the rifle, shooter and components.

Yes we are Fred and since you put it like that I think I'm getting a Little greedy. The tightest group out of all these different powder charges was the 83gr and what I mean by me getting greedy is that a couple of loads in the 90gr range were almost 8 to 10" higher which to me means I can shoot further but if I shoot further and can't hit what I'm aiming at I ain't accomplished a whole lot...I think that's what you're trying to to tell me and less stress on the gun is always good although seen no signs of pressure issues with 93gr..If I wanted to take this further then I should probably narrow the powder charges down to like a top 5 and keep narrowing it down until the gun shows me what it likes best...I think I'm making this a lot harder than what it is but finding the right recipe that your gun like best can be fun but nerve racking too...Thanks Fred

Scotty

The 93 load does not seem to bad at all:D. A little tuning. Same for the 83..

I'm no Optimal Charge Weight guru but the 93 looks more on song.

Thanks Fred. 93gr. That's the one I would like to make work . Thats about as hot as I want to load, don't see any signs of bad pressure and I won't always be wandering If I fall short of a shot " if only I went a little heavier I wander if I could of made that shot"gun)

Baydog, I have shot 4 different Sendero .300 RUM's extensively. I found seating depth to be one of the most important issues relating to accuracy. I had a 4" long box installed and got good accuracy with all four. IMR 4350, although it does not produce top velocities, will give great accuracy. They also did well with Retumbo and IMR 7828. Reloder 22 and 25 shot well, but are temp sensitive. Gary

Thanks Gary. I went through the seating the bullet out as far as I could without touching the Lanns and finally found what I though was a sweet spot to find out I had to keep sinking the bullet in until they would fit in the magazine and had to settle with that depth. You say you had a longer box or magazine installed on your gun? Is that something that you could do or did you have to get a gun smith to do it? I sure would like to extend the bullet out further without having to shoot a single shot..I found the IMR 4350 to be accurate up to the 180gr bullets then anything heavier I got more accuracy using Retumbo. But thats what I'm trying to figure out now. I'm getting good groups with a 180gr Nosler ballistic tip with 82gr of IMR 4350. This gun seems to like to work so I thought I would work it a little harder and move up to 215gr Berger VLD and trying to figure out a good retumbo powder charge. Seems like everyone I talk to who owns a 300RUM all like shooting heavier bullets. I kinda get the ideal that the 230 grain bullet is the choice bullet for everyone but I live on the east coast where the biggest thing I hunt is white tail deer. The 180 gr seems to work great for deer and thats the biggest thing I'll ever shoot at but if I can get this gun to shoot further and more accurate by shooting a heavier bullet to calm the bullet down and make it more stable then I'll give it a try..Just trying to to do like every reloader and that's shoot as far as I can and be the most accurate as I can :D

baydog

If you want to stretch that 300 RUM out a bit you will need to chronograph the velocity of whichever load you settle on. The ProChrono Digital and the CED Millenium 2 are two chronographs that work pretty good. The first one is the better value at a little over $100. (You need to carefully aligned the path of the bullet to pass straight through the chrono or it will read slow.)

In my 300 RUM, I'm running the 210 Bergers (the heaviest 30 call Berger "hunting bullet") at 3,040 fps using 97.0 grains of RL-33.

There has to be some machine work done to the action and stock. Bullets in the 180 grain range shot from the .300RUM have made many spectacular kills on Whitetails for me. I also hunt with a 7STW and several .338 EDGE rifles but I don't think that they have any advantages as far as killing deer over the .300 RUM. If you have questions about the magazine conversion, you can call me at 478-957-5213. I can text you pictures. Gary

what are the bigger magazine boxes called and where can i buy them. does long range hunting mag sell them?

Wyatt's Outdoors. CFE-9 . You can do center feed or staggered feed with this box. I much prefer the staggered feed. To do staggered feed you use the Remington follower and add some length to the front of the follower. For me the staggered feed method loads and feeds better. Gary

Gary were you able to install it without a lot of modifying or did u have to get a gun smith to do it?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.