300rum 1/9 twist.

screech

Hello, Im building a 300rum with a 9 twist and was windering if it is to much twist for the 210gr. class bullet or am I stuck with the heavy smk's?

10 twist 300RUMs using US869 at near max loads will work fine on 240SMK's out to about 1500, so I'm sure you're fine with a 9 twist for 210's. That's the word from guys who've shot that far anyway. I've only shot to just over 1000 (getting there...) and when did my part measuring/reading canyon winds, the 240's were doing minute of elk. Might talk to Kirby, but that may even stabilize the 265 AT RBBT Wildcat--1/8 might be better for the 265 though. My Sierra bullet chart reccomends 1/10 for the 210's and 1/9 for the 240's. Good luck.

I'm having a 300RUM built also and it will also have a 1/9 barrel on it. I choose it because I plan on shooting the 200-220gr bullets and after talking to my smith we decided that would be a good twist. Later I was concerned that if I wanted to shoot some lighter bullets (who knows why) that it would be to fast for them. My smith said the 1/9 was a good compramize; it would stabalize? the heavier bullets but not over-spin the lighter pills.

I haven't got/shot it yet, but "that's what I heard."

I am going to build a 300 RUM with a 1 in 8 twist inorder to shoot the 265 grain Wildcats...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.