300 yard off hand shot at a deer!

Justgoto,

Considering the M94, that's a pretty impressive bit of shooting, since that's well beyond the ranges these rifles are normally used! The rifles we use in Silhouette have to be very accurate all the way out to 500 meters, and still deliver enough monetum to take down a 70 (or so) pound steel ram. The 7-08, 260, 7mm BR, 6.5x47 and such are all popular calibers. We also use some fairly powerful scopes. I run a 30X on most of my rifles, and a 36X on the 7mm BR. Have to see the shot to be able to call it, and you need that sort of magnification to hit the animal where you need to, to assure it goes down. As I said, one of the benefits of competition shooting is that it gives you a true picture of what your real capabilities are, both good and bad. Whioe I know quite a few folks who are quite cabale of this sort of shooting, I doubt that any of them would take such a shot unless it was absolutely neccesary, and a real last resort. A rest, or some other form of support is always going to be preferable, and should ALWAYS be used it it can be done.

Offhand shooting is a neccesary skill, but it's tough to develop, and always will be the most inherently unsteady. One of my very favorite people in the world (and a very dear and long time friend), Sherri Gallagher won the Nationals at Camp Perry this year. She set a new national record in doing so, shooting an astounding 2396 out of 2400 possible points in the three matches. The 4 points she dropped, two 9s and a single 8, were all lost during the 200 yard offhand portions of the matches. So here she is, arguably the best shooter in the country, and the offhand portion is where she lost all (4) points during the championships. Tough position, no two ways about it.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.