333 Yard 3 shot Group..........

bigbuck

I realize that this is not LR but from what I've read, is that load development for 1000 and further should be around 300 yards so with that in mind I set out to see what my rifle would do . I loaded up the rifle, targets and everything else and headed out in the middle of the day yes I skipped out of work :D to do some shooting ! The temp was 93 and the wind was blowing but I just had to see what these new loads would do(not the best conditions for load dev.) . I set up at 333 Yards I tried several loads but they didn't do to well . I had loaded up 3 rounds of my favorite load from last year and tried it . I couldn't see the boolit holes until I drove up to the target when I got there I had 3 shots that measured .621 :)

So to those of you that shoot long range . Is this what you would call good to go ?? or should I play around with seating debth from here ??

Load was 85.5 grains of retumbo 210 berger .020 off the lands.
sholder bumped .002
Nosler custom brass.
brass weight sorted.
Fed 215 M
BigBuck

Sounds great to me. Did you only shoot the one group with them? If so I wuld probably shoot another group or two at 300 on a calm day. If all is good I would go right into zeroing and drop development.

Good shootin!

Jeff

Sounds great to me. Did you only shoot the one group with them? If so I wuld probably shoot another group or two at 300 on a calm day. If all is good I would go right into zeroing and drop development.

Good shootin!

Jeff

Yeah I only shot one group of this load . I would waite until conditions looked and felt the same then I would send it . Last year I shot this load at 200 yards and it was one wollered hole . I will take your advice and shoot a few more groups with this load. So if the resulst are the same what yardage would you move out to next ?

Thanks for the reply:)

Bigbuck

Yeah I only shot one group of this load . I would waite until conditions looked and felt the same then I would send it . Last year I shot this load at 200 yards and it was one wollered hole . I will take your advice and shoot a few more groups with this load. So if the resulst are the same what yardage would you move out to next ?

Thanks for the reply:)

Bigbuck

Sounds like the load is good if you have shot it at 200 before too.

Next I would zero at what ever you like. Some like 100 zero to keep it simple. I like 200 or 250 to extend the distance I can shoot with no correction in the elevation turret.

After zeroed, I would shoot next at 700 on a calm day. Depending on what ballistic program or drop chart you use, once you are dialed in at 700, I have found it gets me very close to everything between me and 1000 yards.

Jeff

Sounds like the load is good if you have shot it at 200 before too.

Next I would zero at what ever you like. Some like 100 zero to keep it simple. I like 200 or 250 to extend the distance I can shoot with no correction in the elevation turret.

After zeroed, I would shoot next at 700 on a calm day. Depending on what ballistic program or drop chart you use, once you are dialed in at 700, I have found it gets me very close to everything between me and 1000 yards.

Jeff

Okay I will set it at 200 yard zero.

I will shoot @ 700 next time out.
What kind of group would you exspect or what kind of accuracey standard should I try to accomplish at the 700 yard mark ?

I use a kestrel 2500 NV
Dell Axium pocket pc with NF soft ware .

BigBuck

Okay I will set it at 200 yard zero.

I will shoot @ 700 next time out.
What kind of group would you exspect or what kind of accuracey standard should I try to accomplish at the 700 yard mark ?

I use a kestrel 2500 NV
Dell Axium pocket pc with NF soft ware .

BigBuck

You have the the same stuff as I do. After you confirm the 200 yard zero and have enteresd the current bullet data, and field conditions. Then enter your range (700) in the target engagement page hit update and calculate. Then shoot your 700 group using that dope. If you are shooting under 1 1/2" at 300, that is under .5 moa. So at 700 you should see a group of 3 1/2" or less. I feel this is great shooting.

After you have your group at 700, measure the height difference from the center of group and your point of aim. Lets just say it is 3" low. Then on the first page of you NF program, hit " program options" and select "Tradgectory Validation". In tradgectory validation you will now enter your data and hit apply. So, we were 3" low at 700,... distance 700 yards, .. point of bullet impact -3...apply.

Then start the fun part, testing to see you are indeed on at all distances. You can go back in and do tradjectory validations at any time or any distance to 1000 yards. If you find you are on at 1000 but up or down a couple inches at 500 I would not sweat it. The deer at 500 won't mind if you are off .5 moa / 2.5" but at 1000 .5 moa is 5" and that could be a potential problem.

Hope this helps, have fun!
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.