300 WSM

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by bjlooper, Apr 5, 2007.

1. bjlooper

bjlooper Well-Known Member

Kevin Weaver shot my rifle 4/2/07, not bad for a 6lb 5oz sheep rifle I think the groups will tighten up as the barrel is broken in. Does any one have a pet load for me to try.
    DR B
    Rifle PICS

2. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

bjlooper, Are you going to use on sheep or other big game animals? Makes a difference on bullet recommendations. Nice looking rifle, just not sure on that stock color!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. wildcat338

wildcat338 Well-Known Member

bj-

Since your link noted that he had shot 168 gr SMK I will post my fave 300 wsm load.

165 gr SGK (sierra gameking)
    59.4 gr Varget
    Win Brass
    F215M Primer
    3.258 ogive

As with all loads this one is safe in my rifle but you should decrease this and work your way up. 59.7 is max in Sierra#5 reloading manual. Although from 58.5 to 59.4 groups were very tight. Goodluck and Good Hunting!

4. Supermag

Supermag Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking rig. I've been interested in how the Weaver rifles shot, so keep us informed about the gun.

5. bjlooper

bjlooper Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    bjlooper, Are you going to use on sheep or other big game animals? Makes a difference on bullet recommendations. Nice looking rifle, just not sure on that stock color!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to use it on every thing Antelope up to Brown Bear that I have to walk more than a 1/4 mile, including African Planes Game. I also plan on using Barnes 165gr MRX for every thing.
    What do you Long Range experts consider the Max effective range of the 165gr MRX @ 3200fps.

DR B

6. wapiti13

wapiti13 Well-Known Member

The MRX will function further than you are able to hold a group. Your rig is great, but the weight and scope will limit you to around 500-600 yds. Bullet will perform great at that range.