300 WSM velocity with 225 ELD-M or 230 VLD

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
What was the cart OAL (Standard WSM chamber?) if you don't mind me asking i have used R-22 and 7828SSC and had trouble getting much over 2700 with 225 ELDs...WSM really is best with 185s I have found..I leave the 210 grain and above for the boys with more room in the boiler room (Norma, RUM, -378)

Who are you asking?
My mag box doesn't have a spacer.
I have the spot welds drilled to remove the piece in the wsm box I have for one of my rifles. Just curious that's all I think I have 3.1 overall available. I'd have to measure to be certain though.

I'm having a 300WSM built on a long action as I write this. Reamer set for a COAL of 3.250" with the 215 hybrid. Looking forward to seeing what it's capable of!
THAT will make the WSM perform. It should never have been designed that long for the available short actions of it's time. It's another case of designing a short action cartridge that CANNOT utilize the capacity it has because of bullet intrusion. Same mistake made by reminngton 60 years ago with the 6.5 RM!
Now, Hornady decided to join the fun and do it with the PRC!!! Geez!
I wish someone could explain to me why they keep desiging cartridges that give up 5% or more of their capacity to the bullet? And then, the bullet is way out of position in the case neck which can cause other problems including doughnuts!

Last edited:
^^^ Preach it!! I read about the freakish accuracy it's capable of in the 1000y game over on accurateshooter.com and I thought, man, built on a long action I bet this caliber would make an awesome LR hunting rig. I guess time will tell!

As Rich said my 300 SS is shooting the 225 eld-m at 2889 fps which is hot but still ok. My rifle is built on a Tikka also and I had the bolt stop shortened and switched to the "long action" magazine. I think my COAL is right at 3". I think my max is 3.025". This combo accounted for a nice 4 point mule deer at 1103 yards and my biggest 6 point bull elk at 1115 yards this year.
A WSM on a long action throated properly would be a screamer!

That's some serious shooting Idaho, congratulations on what sounds like two great animals! Thanks for the cartridge specs.

I have the spot welds drilled to remove the piece in the wsm box I have for one of my rifles. Just curious that's all I think I have 3.1 overall available. I'd have to measure to be certain though.

I can fit an OAL of 3.010 in the Win M70 WSM mag box.

My friend asked for a LR load for his Browning A-bolt with BOSS in 300 WSM, barrel 21" or 22" (hard to tell with BOSS) before the 215 Berger was available. Had some 230 Berger match hybrids and gave them a try. Magazine is 2.8". The bullets were seated well into the case. Used 61 gr of RL-17 for a velocity of 2735 fps.

Certainly nothing wrong with the 300WM. But the 1000y guys have a good point: lots of competitors shoot the 300WSM while the 300WM is non-existent in their world. It's not just that the 300 WSM is more accurate - there are many factors that play into their choice to shoot the 300WSM over the 300WM - but in my opinion, the cumulative effect of a few advantages pushes the scale to favor the WSM.