300 WSM or 325 WSM

Garrett H.

I need some help choosing a great round for target shooting/hunting out to 1000+ yards. I have read some great stuff about both of these rounds but I have never personally shot or tested them. If anyone has any other suggestions on other rounds I should pursue please throw it out there.

The 300 has about 500 GOOD bullet choices to try and the 325 has about 5, match bullets maybe less. That alone is worth staying with the 300... just my 2 cents.

On targets at 1k the 300 wsm. When you say hunting at 1k and beyond, Varmint would not be a problem. I feel the my 300 WSM lacks a little *** for 1k deer. It doesn't take much energy to kill a deer if the bullet is placed in the right spot. Under the right conditions I might pull the trigger at 1k. on a deer. If I intended to hunt deer at 1k and beyond I would shoot a 300 Rum or 338 Lapua.

Rim,

I have considered the 300 Rum or 338 Lapua because these are awesome rounds but I think that shooting allot off of the bench could wear on me bit and I don't want to have to put a break on the rifle.

the 300 WSM is the caliber mainly due to bullets.

I have three 300 WSMs currently and had two more. It is very good for target to in excess of 1k. I have shot a 18" five shot group at one mile with one of mine with 210 JLKs starting at 2975 fps in a 30" tube. I currently win more than my share with them now.

I would have no problem with a deer out to 1k (but that is the limit) with the WSM with a premium bullet in the 180 gr range. I have just built one with 26" #4 Lilja to do that now. Yes it is light at 9 lbs with scope. It really will be best as a carry gun and comfortable to 800.

If you are going out past you would want either a 338 or large case 30 that can shoot the 240s.

BH

Guys,
I have no less than 20 different bullets on hand for reloading my .325 WSM so bullet selection is definitely not the issue you might believe. The range is from Matchkings to Accubonds, with lots in between as far as bullet weight and styles. Look at Hornady's 8mm lists, you will be surprised.

Not as many as .30's but still pretty impressive selection.

I shot a New Mexico bull elk with my 300 WSM and 168gr. Barnes TSX's at 633 yards this year. After the first hit he stumbled on rubbery legs to 575 and one more shot took out his shoulder and that was it. Oh, both bullets exited by the way, with major damage.

I guess I should of checked on new bullets in the 325 range, my bad. Is there a good selection in the high BC range? I have been thinking about a 325 for a XP-100 pistol.

The .325 pretty much does what the .300 WSM will do but with 20 more grains of bullet weight. I have hunted quite a lot with both of them, not a big difference in capability if you place the shot correctly.

Hi for target shooting the 300 is way in front of the 325 but for long range hunting the 325 has the extra energy. This is with comparable hunting bullets but run a 210gr Berger or a 220gr Sierra MatchKing in the 300 and their is no 8mm projectile that will stay with it at 1000 yards. If their were High BC projectiles in 8mm i would choose it but their are not.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I was invited on the first hunt Winchester did with the cartridge so had access to brass and ammo long before they introduced it. George Gardner was interested in the case so I found some M-70 actions and he built three rifles. This was in the spring after they had released the .325 at the SHOT show. Rifles and ammo did not appear till summer so I was shooting the custom rig long before most guys. My rifle has a Mike Rock barrel and McMillan HTG stock and it is a wonderful shooting rig. Have killed some black bears and several mulies with good success at fairly long range.

I did not select it over the .300WSM, just had a chance to work with it. Have a wonderful .300WSM that is also a hunting tool. I would never sell a good shooting .300WSM/Win. mag or a good .338 Win to switch to a .325WSM but if I was looking for an elk, moose, deer rifle I would consider one.

Although it would kill a brown bear I would prefer a much larger cartridge - with very little experience on the big bears my minimum cartridge is the .416.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.