300 wsm ladder test or OCW

rdeh

Has anyone done a ladder test or a OCW test for a 300 wsm? Looking for a starting point for my Rem XCR with 165gr Hornady Interbonds and the 180gr. I also have some 180gr Accubonds to try out. The powders I have on hand are IMR4350, IMR4831, Magpro, H4831. I was also going to try Hunter. Looking for any help I can get

Welcome aboard nehunter.....

Why not be the pioneer and go for it.

If your barrel isn't broken in, follow a procedure to do that before you get too serious about working up a load. Never tried a ladder or ocw along with a bbl break-in???

Also a chono is pretty much a must to be most efficient with either method.

I usually start with the powder that gives the highest velocity.

I'd try an ocw attempt up towards the high of that powder, I'd say 0.2 or maybe .3 grains between the three loads. Shoot 'em round robin and see what you get.

Take what I say w/a grain of salt as I am a newby at this OCW thing but I think I'm catching on. (Probably driving some people bonkers with my posts). But hey, that's how we learn...

Go for it.... Post results and we'll all learn together......

Sorry about the late reply. I don't have my notes handy, but I'll check them and get back to you... 300 WSM data is sketchy, but some trends are starting to form.

Dan

You should be able to get an accurate, 3000 fps 180 grain bullet load using RL19, and work up to Alliant's max of 68.0 grains. Some folks have found good accuracy at 68.4 grains, but go there with caution.

If you have, or can get some Accurate Arms "Magpro," it is supposedly aimed at replacing the old WMR powder which Winchester took off the market. Winchester still uses WMR in their factory stuff, but you can't buy it. Initially, Winchester was recommending a charge of 73 grains of WMR with their 180 grian Nosler CT loads. That is not to say that 73 grains of AA Magpro would work great--AA's data shows a much larger max charge with Magpro...

Winchester replaced the WMR with WXR (X being for "extruded" powder they say). It comes out of Sweden (probably made by Bofors) and appears for all the world to be re-labeled RL22. Some folks like RL22 in the 300WSM. Nosler shows an accuracy load using their 180's and 67 grains of RL22. Alliant says 68 grains is max.

Here is AA's load data page for Magpro... it may be a bit slower than the old WMR, which would be good (better load density). Accurate Powder data...

You should of course double check my data here, and proceed with caution.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.