300 WSM A5 By C.M. WOW!!

Ric,
Just givin ya a hard time there.
wink.gif
I'm looking at a super lightweight rifle for my 300 WSM anyway. Probably 22-24". I've only recently (last 4 years) stopped selling the rifles I buy. Trust me, I was worse than anyone I've ever seen about keeping anything I bought too. I caught more flack for selling them than you know. A handfull more and I'll have all the actions I need for years to come.

Thanks for the data there too, just don't share it with Boyd.
grin.gif

As unconventional as that Boyd is, I'm sure he's using H50BMG or maybe even RL12.
grin.gif

I'm guessing H4831 or 4350 tho.
smile.gif

Thanks again Ric, and show us the pic. I shot the first one hole group with the 30-338 Lapua Imp last week too. Measured .020" and was just three shots.

Brent,

Can't say I know for sure why the powder selection is so secretive... He has a long barrel on his so I bet it is a pretty slow powder... but then again I have used "too fast" powders in a long barrel too!

I have a 5 shot group with a rifle I have for sale.. that measured .073.. I bet this 3 shot group is the same or better... once the sun comes up we'll see...

I'll keep ya posted on the data.. once the barrel is broke in I'm gonna go stretch the legs a bit...

Brent,

Ran some more 3 shot groups down the barrel today..

I went from 62.0 62.5 and 63.0 gr of H4350
F.P.S. Topped out at 2870 with 63.0 grs

I jumped from 2800 to 2850 with .5 gr of powder then only 10 fps with another .5 grs of powder.
So it is safe to say with a 24" barrel the H4350 is maxed out about 62.7 or so grs of powder.

all my groups were 5. or less so I am very pleased.. this rifle likes to be squeezed a bit when ya shoot it.. but then it also groups well at almost free recoil too!

So any ideas on any other powders?

I may just fine tune this one and stick with it.. not sure I can do any better....

Ok more results..

Here's a 6 shot group...

H4350 62.5 grs 190 SMK seated .020 off the lands.
Averaged 2900 fps! Woo HOO!!

PC243535.jpg

Brent,

More info.

Had a break in the weather today...

Loaded 4 cases with RL 19 ( 66.0 grs )

fired 4 shots.. cold clean bore is at 1:00

other 3 just fell into place.. 2925 fps average 190 SMK...
PC263542.jpg

Alright, we are getting bored with these tiny little ragged hole groups you are showing us.
wink.gif
How about moving out that target a couple hundred yards so we can get a little variety.
grin.gif
Looking good.

Ric,
Hey, keep postin it, I'm savin all this info here in a WORD doc., so I appreciate it.
smile.gif
Nice groups too, Ric. I'm not sure if I posted it or not, but here's the one hole group I shot a couple weeks ago. Forgot my rifle was zeroed at 300 yards still, hence the first high shot there.
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=82744&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

You can see in this pic that it took a group or two to settle down with the JLK after using the Berger, at least I think that's why the first one was BIG?? Rifle already had about 20 rounds through the bore before firing these groups here.
The .255 MOA group was the same load I fired the groups in the other pic with, had the same neck tension basically, and was just to verify it was holding the same accuracy as before. The bottom groups were fired last and I changed the neck tension from .001" to .002", doesn't look like progress with the first two groups though, will fire a few more but it don't look better than the other ones. These were all fired off my backpack, so they might improve slightly if I had a bipod and I was a little more solid. Michael's 308 with the bipod is real solid, but I'm too used to my light triggers to shoot his as well as he does. Looks like we'll have to get a snowplow out to the place we been shooting now, we been dumped on and it's too deep to get back there now.
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=82727&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

[ 12-26-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Brent,

Sweet! I never really experimented with neck tension myself...

I'm gonna shoot a couple more 100 yard targets then move out! I'll post results.

Hi Ric!

Would you lease post the details (action, barrel, finish etc) of this project rifle and accesories?

I would like to use some of them for my own pet project.

Thanks!

Just Curious..have you tried Reloader 22 yet?
it's pretty slow I would bet it would be pretty good. also that is a really sweet looking Rifle!! how do you like the A5 stock?
I just picked my rifle up about 2 weeks ago and I really like the A5 it just feels really good!
Keith

The rifle

Rem 700 SS, SA
Mike Rock 5R 11 twist # 6 fluted barrel
OPS inc. Break
Badger bottom metal, base, rings
Nightforce 5.5-22 R2 Ret.
Wyatt mag. box
Tan teflon finish...

I have tried RL 22 but the best powder and the 190 is by far H4350!! Very temp stable!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.