300 WSM & 200 gr. accubond?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Bigcat_hunter, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter Well-Known Member

Anyone have any luck pushing this bullet? I am considering either building a 300 wsm with a long action model 70 or buying a Sako finlight in this caliber. I am a little concerned about the magazine length in the Sako. I had a browning in this caliber and due to the mag length I could not run 200 grain accubonds.

2. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I just got a Finnlight 300 WSM. I haven't tested any loads for it yet, but have done a good bit of research. I think the best bullets for it are in the 165 - 180 gr range. I plan to be using the E-Tip 180's. Also, the Finnlight has a 1:11 twist which is the minimum that Barnes recomends for it's 180 TTSX. The magazine is short, so it doesn't give you a lot of seating options with some bullets.

If I wanted to push a 200 gr bullet, I would step up to the 300 RUM. JMO

3. Shortmagman

Shortmagman Well-Known Member

I have shot some at paper targets only. I have two 300 WSM rifles and I have loaded and shot 200 grain Accubonds in both rifles. First load I used IMR-4350 along with Norma brass and WLRM primers to achieve just over 2800 ft/sec in my Winchester Model 70. This was not a max load according to the loading manuals. I have also used IMR-4831 to load the 200 grain Accubonds for my Ruger Mark II. This load I did not chronograph but I think it was was faster that the IMR-4350 load. I had no trouble loading this bullet. I had plenty of powder space so no worries about magazine length etc..

4. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

WHAT? I can't even find room for 180's and I have a hard time getting them to 2800! But then I'm loading for a short magazine of course.

5. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

That would be a smart move. Then you could get more than 64 grains of powder in the case with any bullet you wanted.