300 WM Brass. What Brand?

I have good luck with Norma Brass. I have some that 5 firings on them and the primer pockets are still tight. I have some Hornady that I swelled the primer pockets after 2 firings. I get 2880 fps with 73 gr H1000 and a 215 Berger.

Randy

I have good luck with Norma Brass. I have some that 5 firings on them and the primer pockets are still tight. I have some Hornady that I swelled the primer pockets after 2 firings. I get 2880 fps with 73 gr H1000 and a 215 Berger.

Randy

Is that 73 grains in your Norma brass for 2880, or 73 in the Hornady? Or have you seen a difference in powder charges between those two brands??

In a similar scenario right now myself... have both brass types to work up loads in. Curious if there's much difference. Buddy of mine made it to 79 before seeing pressure in Nosler Brass, and 79 basically fired 2900 flat.

Sometimes amazes me there is such a variance in brass-manufacturers and where they make their velocity compared to others.

I have used both Winchester and Norma brass with a preference for the Norma. The case capacity of the Norma runs about 2.3 gr higher than the Winchester. I have gotten as many as 10 reloads with the Norma brass, annealing after 4-5 reloads. I can get about 7-8 loads with the Winchester. The primer pockets run tight on the Norma and I use my Forester primer tool when the brass is new in order to make sure they are well seated. They loosen up after load or two and stay tight for the life of the brass even with stiff loads.

I made it to 79 gr of H1000 in my Nosler brass as well. Shoots a 215 Berger right at 3000 fps. Mabia that is impressive speed for only 73 gr. Must be a fast barrel. What kind of barrel and length?

That is impressive speed!! I know its apples to oranges, but with 83 Grains of H1000 and a 180 Barnes TSX my .300 Winnie cranks out 3110-3120 fps out of Winchester cases over my gunsmiths Oehler. OAL is a little longer than SAMMI at 3.44, but I still have to fill the cases with a 24" drop tube... :) Brass is on its 4'th reload, I think I need to anneal the necks this time around

Smith says my new rifle will be ready soon. He uses and suggested I get Norma or Winchester brass. I have 100 brand new Hornady on hand. No one has the Winchester in stock. Should I step up to the Norma? Buy used Winchester? Or let it ride on the Hornady I already have?
Thanks in advance...

Why not use the Hornady you have on hand for barrel break-in and plinking and look for Norma brass? For short to mid range hunting, the Hornady brass will work fine. If you are looking to punch holes in paper at 1,000 yards, there are better brass choices out there.

Why not use the Hornady you have on hand for barrel break-in and plinking and look for Norma brass? For short to mid range hunting, the Hornady brass will work fine. If you are looking to punch holes in paper at 1,000 yards, there are better brass choices out there.

I scored 100 Federal brass today. So the Hornady must go! Sold 50 and listed the second batch of 50 I had.

I scored 100 Federal brass today. So the Hornady must go! Sold 50 and listed the second batch of 50 I had.

I'm a bit of a brass hoarder. I'll go through the brass buckets at the range to pick up the brass that others don't want. I'll even get the brass for calibers I don't own. I keep a stash of plinking ammo in as many calibers as I can so when by brother-in-law wants to shoot I don't go through my target or hunting rounds.

I've not come across a brand of brass that is so bad I won't use it, other than Berdan brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.