Coal 3.640
At 81 grns its shooting avg velocity 2968 es 30 fps , sd 16.1

At 81.2 , avg 2986 es 28 fps sd 14.2

At 81.4 , avg 2993 es 9 fps sd 4.8

Accuracy is as follows
81 , .206 moa at 200yds
81.2 , .503 moa at 200 yds
81.4 , .604 moa at 200yds
So do I try and swicth primers on 81 to get the es and sd down or play with seating on the 81.4 ?
Any all advice is very much appreciated! And if I left any info you need to know out please ask would like to finalize tomorrow ! Thanks

Ok heres the situation,
Norma brass
Fed 215
200 hybrid
Retumbo
Coal 3.640
At 81 grns its shooting avg velocity 2968 es 30 fps , sd 16.1

At 81.2 , avg 2986 es 28 fps sd 14.2

At 81.4 , avg 2993 es 9 fps sd 4.8

Accuracy is as follows
81 , .206 moa at 200yds
81.2 , .503 moa at 200 yds
81.4 , .604 moa at 200yds
So do I try and swicth primers on 81 to get the es and sd down or play with seating on the 81.4 ?
Any all advice is very much appreciated! And if I left any info you need to know out please ask would like to finalize tomorrow ! Thanks
I would take the most ACCURATE load and tweak seating depth up and down until the groups became consistent. ES is only important at extreme ranges where vertical is more important than group size.
When I work up I use the same loads side by side with different primers, my primers of choice are FED 215/WLRM. I've never had good luck with CCI magnum primers.

Cheers.
gun)

Thanks , I'm working on this load for ranges out to and Beyond 1000 yards so vertical is very important . Also I little more info , the 81.4 with the better numbers but with lower accuracy was after my shoulder was a little tired .

Thanks , I'm working on this load for ranges out to and Beyond 1000 yards so vertical is very important . Also I little more info , the 81.4 with the better numbers but with lower accuracy was after my shoulder was a little tired .

I should have asked this previously, what range are those groups tested at, and how does it shoot at 600, 800 and 1000yrds?
A load that shoots into .2's @ 100yrds may not perform as expected at extreme range, have experienced this myself.
More testing is always needed.

Cheers.
gun)

They were at 200 yds, today I went and shot three shots at 700 , I was running short on time so I didn't set up the chronograph, dialed 12 Moa and shot two times , they hit 3.8 inches high and about the same left of bullseye , so I went back to the gun and corrected 1/2 Moa both ways and shot and hit 3/4 inch right and high so I call that pretty good for me! I going to stick with this load and get out to 1k and maybe 1500 yards . Thank for your help!

Adam......have you tried RL26? I get VERY low es with it and minimum long range vertical as well as high velocity in ALL of my Sherman cartridges.....
Rich

I haven't , i live in eastern NC and have only tried Hodgdon Extreme powders because it's 75 degrees one day and 35 the next lol,

Considering the best bullets made shoot no worse than .500 MOA at 200 yards in factory tests, your 200 yard results are stellar to say the least.

3-shot groups indicate that all fired shots with its load will range from about half their size to over 3 times their size. So, I would pick whatever one you want and go with it and not wear out your barrel testing with more shots per group. The barrel's got about 1200 rounds of life at best accuracy.

Short story.

2011 I get my New Dasher LG for 1000 yard IBS comp. I was shooting the 105 vld and just wasn't happy with how it shot . ES was in the single digits, but it just didn't group. I tried everything to get it to group. About 4 days before I left for the IBS Nationals in W Virgina, I tried the 108 BT. BANG ....groups shrunk consiederably!! The only problem with my new load with the 108's.......ES....near 40 FPS!! I was sick of screwing around, so i said... "blank it" and just left to the nationals.

Result......First overall in the two gun. First in the LG overall, First in LG group, Sixth in LG score!! Group avaerage was 3.8".

The moral of the story....."don't live your life based on ES!!!

The end, :D

Tod

Good stuff !! I did some further testing with the 81.4 at 688 yards . And I will say that in sure there was some luck involved but this is how it went, I was at the range all day getting a load figured out for my buddy's 300 rum . Not once did I shoot my gun until we were about to leave and I decided to stop at the furthest point I could shoot which was 688 and I didn't have my phone, so I took a estimated guess and dailed 12 Moa and took two shots . They hit about 4 inches high and about the same left , those two shots were about 3/4 inch apart ! So I then went back to the gun and dailed 1/2 Moa down and right and hit about 1 inch left of a quarter sized bullseye! So I'm pretty tickled none the less , after all this only a factory rem 700 5r mil spec with only the recoil lug bedded ! Again thanks for help guys!

Pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.