300 wm 185 vld

trailrider121

I loaded some 185gr VLD in my stevens 200 / 300 WM 24" barrel using H1000 powder.

Load consist of: win brass,H1000 powder, cci-250 primer, neck size, 185 vld .009" off lands.

I loaded from 79.8 to 81.0grs. I didn't get any good groups till i hit 80.8grs and 81.0 grs. They **** near went in on hole under .5" groups however, I got pressure signs. Getting somewhat flat primers and cratering.

Chrony speed at 12':

79.8 / 3029 fps
81.0 / 3108 fps

Should i search lower in charge for another lower node? Or adjust the upper 81.0 gr load by maybe seating the bullet deeper per Berger recommendation with bullet seating depth. Will help with pressure right? but not sure how much? Maybe a cooler primer? Any advice ??

I would load up some more of the best load and shoot a few more for group to see if it maintains that accuracy or if it was just a matter of chance. If the accuracy holds and the pressure signs don't worsen, I'd continue to develop from that load carefully and would not want to shoot it if the weather got much hotter.

Meanwhile, I'd look for a lower pressure load using a different powder and/or primer.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.