300 Winchester Brass

Bought a GUNWERKS MAGNUS 300 about a year and a half ago, great rifle. I even took their Long range shooting class with an antelope hunt and well worth the price. I had a chance to talk to their guys and they said to use Norma brass, and this is where it got confusing, because when they sent the ammo with the rifle, it was Hornady brass! ??? I have been using Nosler for most of what I shoot, and still do. Their weight sorted brass has always been within .6grains of each other making for great consistancy and accuracy. Tried Hornady just like they used with their same load specs and did not notice any difference, but note that I used the Hornady 50 case packages and they had good consistancy. I then bought it in bulk because of the price and that is where it went down hill. Had up to 6 (six) grains of discrepency between cases even after preping and a lot of damage due to the brass case weight during shipping. Buy small quantities in the pre-preped condition. It is money well spent. My loads have been using both Hornady and Nosler brass, 74 grains of 4831SC powder, and 190 grain Berger VLD or Hornady 200 grain ELDX with no noticeable difference out to 600 yds. Beyond 600 the ELDX has more drop of course. Able to get 5/8 MOA with both at 100 yds.

Looking at ordering some new brass for 300 Winchester. ADG is sold out so would you go with Norma, Nosler or Bertram? Is there another option that would be recommended? Will be looking at the moment to use 210 Berger Hunting VLD for upcoming elk hunt. After that, I will be trying the 200.20X bullet and 230's out to 1000 yards for range time. Will be going in Browning X-Bolt with 1:8 twist.
I have 200 rounds of Nosler Custom Competition brass for sale. New in box. Contact me if you are interested.

I have contacted both Laupu and Peterson recently. The reply from Lapua is "Right now we have no plans to bring this brass back out again. But requests have led us to consider it very closely. This is the best we can say right now." I immediately gave my request!!

Peterson replied and said they hope to have 300WM available again this fall.

Looking at ordering some new brass for 300 Winchester. ADG is sold out so would you go with Norma, Nosler or Bertram? Is there another option that would be recommended? Will be looking at the moment to use 210 Berger Hunting VLD for upcoming elk hunt. After that, I will be trying the 200.20X bullet and 230's out to 1000 yards for range time. Will be going in Browning X-Bolt with 1:8 twist.

I have had very good luck with Nosler brass for my 300 WM. I am on the 6th loading of the first 100 cases that I started with in 2014. I recently bought another 100. Loaded them without any case prep and they shot to the same point of impact and the same FPS (chronographed) as the older brass. When I first bought my 300 WM, I bought some cheap Remington Core Lokt ammo to get it on paper and break in the barrel. Those cases were also good for 5 reloads. Then I decided to go with Nosler, so gave away the Remington brass. I also use Nosler brass for my 270 Win. I have not had any incentive to try the more expensive brass, so can't make a comparison.

I have never used Nosler but seems like it has a positive review and following. Is Nosler made by Norma? I have seen that referenced in a couple of places but seen it disputed in others.

Early 2017 John Nosler told John Barsness that they made the majority of their cases and eventually all Nosler cases will be made by them. That was 18 months ago so whether they make all of their own cases now is a good question.

ADG 300 WM brass came back in stock this afternoon. I just ordered some to try out even though I have had very good success with the Norma brass I bought in bulk in the past from Midway USA.

I've used Norma and R+P brass,with great results don't bother with weighing brass, just internally debur the flash hole. I've never neck turned either but I annealed every time. Plus trim the cases.
I've had multiple loadings ( about eight or more ) use a Lee Collet Die.
Awesome accuracy and brass life with both and I use Berger 230 OTM Hybrids.

I've used Norma and R+P brass,with great results don't bother with weighing brass, just internally debur the flash hole. I've never neck turned either but I annealed every time. Plus trim the cases.
I've had multiple loadings ( about eight or more ) use a Lee Collet Die.
Awesome accuracy and brass life with both and I use Berger 230 OTM Hybrids.
I've been considering a couple of Lee collet dies for necking down .375 Ruger to 6.5 LRM. Do they make a collet type necking die?

I've been considering a couple of Lee collet dies for necking down .375 Ruger to 6.5 LRM. Do they make a collet type necking die?
Not that I know of, but they do make custom dies for a reasonable cost. Or you may be able to purchase a 375 die and a bunch of progressively smaller inserts.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.