300 win or 300 wsm?

I have had an array of .308 based rifles. many 300's... I now only want the 300 Win Mag. H-1000 and 210 Bergers will easily go 2900 fps. You can get great brass for it , like RWS and if you lookhard enough you can still find some Lapua brass. I just got another 100 a while back. The 300 win is bad medicine for everything I hunt to 1000 yards. Plus I really like the way a long action feeds.

Only 300 Win for me.

Jeff gun)gun)

I had a 300win mag browing a bolt with the boss. I traded it for 300wsm browning X bolt carbon fiber. I shoot factory ammo so I decided just to shoot 180gr bullets. theres a big slection of them. The gun handle great. You most apprecite it when carring or in a box bline. The recoil pad on the new x bolts are great to. The gun ways 6lbs 6oz. If your looking for a carry around rifle for elk this is a good option to take. I dont think you can go wrong either way.gun)lightbulb

300WSM vs 300WM?

300WSM: more accurate, more effecient use of powder, uses an average of 10% less powder. Shorter action which means - Shorter lighter rifle, less bolt throw, no belt, longer case life, head spaces on the shoulder verses the belt. Long range compitition shooters are going to the 300WSM. I shoot a Browning A bolt Target in 300WSM and I am getting 5 shot groups you can cover with a dime with 175gr burgers. I do believe that the 300WSM is here to stay.

Personally I have stayed with the good old 300 Win. I have no ill feelings towards the 300 WSM but I do know that if I ever forgot my ammo at home on a hunting trip I would have no problem finding 300 Win ammo in pretty much any place that sells ammo that for me is a comfort factor if I am carrying a tag that has taken 5 plus years to draw.

Hype

300WSM vs 300WM?

300WSM: more accurate, more effecient use of powder, uses an average of 10% less powder. Shorter action which means - Shorter lighter rifle, less bolt throw, no belt, longer case life, head spaces on the shoulder verses the belt. Long range compitition shooters are going to the 300WSM. I shoot a Browning A bolt Target in 300WSM and I am getting 5 shot groups you can cover with a dime with 175gr burgers. I do believe that the 300WSM is here to stay.

Not trying to start anything but my opinion differs somewhat when comparing the two. I would not say the 300 WSM is more accurate, perhaps on a rifle to rifle basis. The 300 Win is still regarded a a very accurate round even out to 1000 despite it's stump of a neck. I have shot a couple of 300 wsm's in light rifles and they are pretty snappy in the recoil department I like light rifles as much as the next guy but a couple of pounds can make a difference ( sometimes large) when you have to make a long distance call and your heart is tripping the light fantastic because you have had to move quickly, in rough terrain to get set for what might be your only shot of the season. The 300 Win is also quite easy to head space on the shoulder with once fired brass. Brass life is subjective to the shooter in question. If I get 4 reloads on 300 Win brass before the pockets go I am happy and at that point I have done one shoulder bump and one to two trims. For me brass is a consumable item and one of the costs of my shooting pleasure.

I do agree fully That the 300WSM is here to stay.

Hype

" more accurate, more effecient use of powder, uses an average of 10% less powder. Shorter action which means - Shorter lighter rifle, less bolt throw, no belt, longer case life, head spaces on the shoulder verses the belt. Long range compitition shooters are going to the "

Sounds like a good description of the 6BR, or marketing hype.

It's not just the cartridge. The rifle and shooter have a hand in the equation also, and the most expensive, custom rifle and scope are useless if the rifleman doesn't know what he's doing.

500yd group shot today with a Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag. I used "belted" Frontier cases, 190gn SMK @ 3145fps using 80.5gn H1000 and CCI 250's.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

The two top, right were sighters and then I went for the group. I wanted to put the group on some new 3/4" steel I used to re-enforce my gong with. This rifle is stock, bought used for $500, with the exception of a Rifle Basix trigger I installed, and the glass is a $300 Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 TD.

The .300 Winchester Magnum has been around 47yrs and it still kicking butt. :) JohnnyK

It's not just the cartridge. The rifle and shooter have a hand in the equation also, and the most expensive, custom rifle and scope are useless if the rifleman doesn't know what he's doing.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

The .300 Winchester Magnum has been around 47yrs and it still kicking butt. :) JohnnyK[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the above knowledge and trigger time are huge. I will also say Da@@$$##m you for the above pictures I am now Jealous very very Jealous to the point of having a complex about being Jealous about your group size. Time to get out to the bench again.

Last edited:
The United States Department of Defence went to the 7.62 Nato round (308) to replace the 30/06 because the 7.62 Nato round ment a shorter action, shorter lighter rifle than the M1. Shorter round, get more on the ship or freight car, soldier can carry more ammo. 7.62 Nato round more inherently accurate round. Most all Palma shooters have abandonded the 06 and have taken up the 7.62
One could make the same comparison between the 300WM and the 300WSM.
Now dont get me wrong the 06 is still a mighty fine round and I hunt with one. I choose the 06 because I sometimes like to be able to load 200gr bullets. I feel that the 06 handles 200gr bullets better than the 308. but I still like my Browning 300WSM for target shooting. When we get right down to it I don't think there is that much of a difference between the 300WM and the 300WSM unless you are splitting some very fine hairs. Get what ever turns your crank

I have been told that loading the heavier 210 gr and up high BC bullets for long range hunting, in a short action WSM, can be a challenge due to the size of the mag box and or length of the action. Bullets need to be seated deep in the case and case volume is lost. Also the one I had for a very short time didnt feed well. One might look into this as well.

Jeff

Gaday Mate I run a 300WSM Norma Brass under some ADI powder 1/11 twist 210 Beger VLD's Stabilize very nicely. I use this load for hunting Camel and F class open and I love it. I don't understand where this thing of not being able to handle the heavy stuff comes from. This load is transonic @ 1376meters and yes mike its a Tikka! Secondly the Blaser LRS that I use is a 300 Mag very nice too again it is based upon in my belief that it is the twist rate and length of barrel to powder expenditure. For me with the WSM I get more bang out of my buck, less powder same relative peak pressure. It is a very efficent case. For me its just smarter not harder.
Take care happy hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.