300 win or 300 RUM

I am a RUM guy myself, but I would say a WIN would do you just fine, especially with the difficulty of finding components these days. No matter which caliber you pick, the one thing I would suggest is get the rifle as soon as possible. If you wait until the end of the summer for a fall deer/elk hunt, you don't have much time to tune loads and get the gun ready for hunting. Just my two cents...

The Tikka T3 is a nice rifle, but not for high BC bullets in 300 win or larger. The magazine OAL is 86 millimeters or 3 3/8 inch. That will force you to seat the bullets to deep. If you don't need a detachable magazine and want a lightweight rifle…consider Blaser R93. About same weight as the T3, insanely accurate and shorter with the same barrel length. Magazine length in R93 is 93.5 millimeters or 3 11/16 inch.
I'm fortunate enough to own one of each, if you roll your own you will find the 300 WM much easier to load, the RUM not so much. I've been loading over 55 yrs and have found the RUM the most challenging of all. In regards to your choice of weapons, chose the one you like the most then top it off with the best optics you can.Sometimes it's the shooter and not the weapon choice which makes the difference.
Best of luck which ever way you go. A big bear

Ya'll are making way to much sense. I have to agree with everything pointing toward the 300 WIN. HOWEVER ,I would not trade my 300 RUM for two 300 Win's. There is just something about those Berger 230's traveling at 3005 and punching tiny bug holes. The 300 RUM has the it factor.

I'm anticipating purchasing one of the 2 by end of summer for a combo mule deer and elk hunt. Ive narrowed to these 2 calibers, leaning towards the win mag honestly due to availability of components and price.

Other than a few hundred fps is there that much of a difference in performance?

Gun is going to be a remington long range or a tikka

The Tikka T3 is a nice rifle, but not for high BC bullets in 300 win or larger. The magazine OAL is 86 millimeters or 3 3/8 inch. That will force you to seat the bullets to deep. If you don't need a detachable magazine and want a lightweight rifle…consider Blaser R93. About same weight as the T3, insanely accurate and shorter with the same barrel length. Magazine length in R93 is 93.5 millimeters or 3 11/16 inch.

I have no experience with the 300 Rum but I'd go with the 300 win. Until recently I owned a Steyr Mannlicher Classic and a Blaser R8 Standard both in 300 win. Both great rifles although at the range they were a little rough on the shoulder. Accuracy was unquestionable. It's a very flat shooting cartridge out to 300 yds. (270 yd zero) and at 500 yds a 180gr bullet velocity is still somewhere around 2100 ft/s; that's plenty of power. I think it's a great cartridge for anyone hunting elk, moose, bighorn sheep, etc. I had no problems with the cartridge and didn't want to sell the rifles, but I just had no real long range opportunities and they were taking up valuable space in my gun safe.

Rarely is the hunting distance here more than 250 mtrs and I've got two 30.06s and two 308s that combined with my Zeiss optics will easily handle that (Weatherby Vanguard, Mossberg 4x4, Blaser R93, Tikka T3) .... and a Rem 270 win for backup.

Good luck. gun)

Last edited:
... No matter which caliber you pick, the one thing I would suggest is get the rifle as soon as possible. If you wait until the end of the summer for a fall deer/elk hunt, you don't have much time to tune loads and get the gun ready for hunting. Just my two cents...

+1 to this. I have known so many guys to try and get new rifles right before the hunting season and it's just not enough time to get everything figured out... Assuming you are reloading? brass dies bullets powder and primers are all hard to find too. You'll want to get that stuff asap as well.

I also vote for the win mag for all the reason so many others have already mentioned. But if you choose the RUM it would still be a great choice.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite i bought for elk, in 300 WSM. In developing an elk load for it (I am getting about 3050 fps out of a 180 gr. partition) I developed a good flinch as well, had to put a Vais brake on it. Which made it shoot like a dream. Less recoil than my Rem 760 in 30-06 shooting 130 grainers at medium speed.The 300 Win will probably get even better stats if you reload. The thought of shooting the 300 RUM in a 6.5 lb rifle makes me flinch just thinking about it. I went with the Tikka ovefr the Savage because the Savage's magazine only held 2 of the WSMs. THe Savage in 300 Win holds 3 in the magazine.

I would not like to own either of these without a outstanding muzzle brake. Two of the best that I have experience with are the Defensive Edge and the J E Custom.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm trying to narrow rifle choices down now. I'm not bugging the local gun shop til I get my bonus...
I am really fond of my savage I bought last summer...anyone one one in 300 win?

I've basically narrowed it to the savage and remington long range....

Also rem 700 sps or Lr?

I own a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 300 win with a 24" barrel. I was too was deciding between the Remington and the Savage, however I went with the Savage because I knew I wouldn't need to replace the trigger. Initially I got poor results from factory ammo and I decided I needed to either sell it or get what I needed to start reloading. So I bedded the recoil lug and am in the process of working up loads for the Berger 230gr OTM. I went with these bullets because they were supposed to be less sensitive to seating depth and have great ballistics. I thought about VLD's but I wanted to be able to magazine load. Seated to 3.495" I've found this to be true. I'm getting .5MOA at an estimated 2600fps with 70.3 H1000 without a chronograph. I'm fairly new to reloading and I have a lot to learn, but I'm pretty excited about the progress I've made and the results I've seen so far. Good luck making your decision.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm trying to narrow rifle choices down now. I'm not bugging the local gun shop til I get my bonus...
I am really fond of my savage I bought last summer...anyone one one in 300 win?

I've basically narrowed it to the savage and remington long range....

Also rem 700 sps or Lr?
I would not go with the SPS, just too many quality control issues with too many of them. The LR of course the Sendero will be much more of a ready to go rig needing far less upgrading.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.