300 win mag

sqearl

Hi guys
I've been trying to work up a load for my Browning xbolt hells canyon 300 win mag using either the 212 eldx or 215 Berger high bred All I've done up to this point is burn up a good amount of powder with no real decent groups. Any help on a starting point

H-1000 is the go to powder for most. Try starting at 74 grains and work up. Try Bergers recommended seating depth recommendations after you determine your powder charge. Most use a magnum primer. Often a Fed 215. If that doesn't work then you might try Retumbo or N-570. The 570 will normally give better velocity. Be sure your screws, bases and rings are all tight. Make sure its not the scope. A new scope can fail. Use one that you know to be good from another rifle.
More info can be found using the search function here as well as over on Long range only. It could be your barrel too..... I had that happen on a Rem 700 Long range. Gunsmith said it would make a good tomatoe stake....
Bruce

3 powders work for me in 3 hunting rifles and 3 target barrels.
RE25 gets the highest velocities and very good groups for me with 180-200gr bullets.
RETUMBO gets the highest velocities with 210-230's and H1000 gets lower velocities but the best accuracy for my target shooting, closely followed by RETUMBO.
This is not to say RE25 is the worst for accuracy, in fact it gives the best accuracy with 180gr Accubonds in 2 of my 300's.
Supreme 780 is also a very good powder, this is what is in factory Winchester ammo, albeit a blended version known as 785.

As to accuracy, have you done a seating depth test yet?
If not, thus may be your issue, you haven't found the 'sweet spot for your bullet.
Go to the Berger site and follow their seating depth test.

All the best with it. The 300WM is one of the most accurate rounds out there, you WILL find a load that shoots tiny groups.

Cheers.

I've had good groups with 63.0 grns. of RL 15 in 150's @ 3065 fps and 78 grns. of RL 22 for 168's at 3242 fps. Both loads are within an inch at 100 yds and 6 " at 500 yds. I have also played with 68 grns.of RL in 125's at 3400 fps. The 150 SST drops whitetails like a bomb.

As mentioned the search top right will reveal a multitude of threads for 300 Win. Most I've read favor H1000 and Retumbo. Perhaps an E-mail to Berger and a visit to their website would help as well. Good luck

H1000, Fed GM215M and 30-40 thou off should get you some decent results with the 215 Berger.

I'd like to try retumbo but can't find any load data for it with those bullets I mentioned

Hi sqearl.

With either the 212 ELDX or the 215 BHT, run a Federal 215M primer and your choice of H-1000, RL26, Retumbo, or Ramshot Magnum. Seat the bullets to max magazine length, unless this jams the bullets.

Now, how much powder depends on your case manufacturer, rifle chamber, etc. for H1000, RL26, and Ramshot Magnum you'll be in the vicinity of 73-75. Lower this if using brass with small volume (like, smaller than Remington and Winchester.) or if you have to seat the bullet deep in the case to avoid lands/fit cartridge to magazine.

Really, your "sweet spot" from that point will be what harmonic your barrel sings at. So a little trial and error.

I'd recommend staying away from double based powders if this is a hunting gun. H1000 is highly recommended due to the stability and near top fps generated.
I run 77.9 gr 215 Berger at COAL 3.6 = .5 MOA often better.
Find your lands and follow the Berger load development guide.

I couldn't get the eldx to shoot. Also h4831sc is a little fast burning but shot better in my 300 then retumbo or h1000. I'd give that a try. I believe my load was 71.3 gr. With a 215 berger and CCI200's. The non mag primers worked better for me. START LOWER THEN THIS LOAD! Id probably start around 68 gr. If I were you I'd try retumbo first though.

Great information from all of you thank you guys very much
Yes this is a hunting gun that is still like to be able to reach out with

Get the Berger manual. I use 4831 either IMR or H4831 and 4350. Lots of great info in it. Some one in here said check your scope torques. That is the first move. also level and insure tracking of your scope. Brian Litz from Applied Ballistics has a good method. I think it is on their web site.

Great information from all of you thank you guys very much
Yes this is a hunting gun that is still like to be able to reach out with

Run the ballistics on the 215 Berger @2900 fps. That'll get you all the distance one could want in a hunting rig.
My cds goes out past 800 on the first revolution.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.