300 win mag

TGM

I'm scratching my head alot, these days trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can drive tacks at 100 yds best I ve I ever done with this rifle. I'm proud of it,but at 200 yds I have a 2in. group and at 300 yds I have a good 5 in group. I have increased powder and decrease powder. I tried seating deeper. Currently I'm using IMR 4350 @70 grains of powder.using Rem cor lokts and horandy 180 grain. bullets seated at 3.402. Does anyone have Idea what I should do?

Terry, have you fired groups with other guns @ 2 & 300 yards, if you have not it might be a head thing & not a bullet or gun thing. Try another gun @ the ranges you want and see if it does the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm scratching my head alot, these days trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can drive tacks at 100 yds best I ve I ever done with this rifle. I'm proud of it,but at 200 yds I have a 2in. group and at 300 yds I have a good 5 in group. I have increased powder and decrease powder. I tried seating deeper. Currently I'm using IMR 4350 @70 grains of powder.using Rem cor lokts and horandy 180 grain. bullets seated at 3.402. Does anyone have Idea what I should do?

[/ QUOTE ] Terry Miller, Sounds like an equipment problem more than a loading problem. I would proceed as follows. Go back to your one hundred yard target (do not change loads). Do not do anything untill you fire a group, 5 shots. Then square the target, move the scope adjustment and shoot all four corners. Do not move the rifle from your rest and bags. Change only the scope adjustment! This is of upmost inportance! If you can square the target by changing only the crosswires then you have proved the scope, the mounting system the whole package. Now if this doesn't prove to be the case then you need to first suspect the scope. It can be an erector tube problem. You must not take any other steps before you prove to yourself that your equipment is right. If the equipment is ok, then start worring in another direction. Please do this test first and then get back to us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

try using RL22 and nosler BT's or accubonds I have had the same problems with hornady's
B

Terry,Remington core lock bullets have never been known for accuracy. The first thing that I would do is switch to the Hornady 178-grain A-Max bullet, 72 grains of IMR4350, and a Federal 210M primer. The second thing that I would suggest is that you place wind flags when you are trying to shoot a group at extended distances. Learn to read the flags. You can have the most accurate rifle and ammo and not be able to shoot a good group if you don't learn to read the conditions. Also the glass that you are using may not be well suited to shooting groups at 200 and 300 yards. Does your scope have an AO, fine crosshairs, and is it clear. Also there is much more to shooting from a benchrest then just resting the rifle on a bag and shooting. Benchrest rest shooter learn how to shoot a rifle from the bench or they leave the game! I don't thing you have a rifle problem. Core locks are good game killers when you can hit the game with them. I don't advocat that you use the A-Max for deer, but you will find that they are a very accurate bullet. Oh, they do kill deer though. Dropped a nice white tail at 387-yards (laser measured) using an A-Max the past fall. The deer dropped like a stone.

[ QUOTE ]
Any news on this post? I wanted to hear what happens next. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, he was going to give a try on the advice and let us know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts