300 Win Mag vs 300 RUM vs 338 Lapua vs 338 RUM

Not being argumentative, asking an actual question, but don't the big 30's have a shorter barrel life as compared to a 338 when both are run at just under max?
This can be true, but I don't expect my 338-416 Rigby Improved to see more then 800 rounds before the throat is toast. The fast 30's can get 1200-1500 rounds before the throat is done.
I use really slow powders that have a sand blasting effect on the throat as the powder burns outside the neck and a 'plug' of unburnt powder is said to wash the throat away every shot.
I run RE33, H50BMG and the surplus powder 869 which I think is the same as H50BMG, not sure though. It is pulled 20mm cannon shell powder.

Cheers.

Volume for volume the smaller the caliber the faster the throat will wear..
Actually, I think it is the larger the case and the smaller the bore, or in other words, the greater the expansion ratio, the faster the throat is worn.
I realise this is sort of what you meant by volume for volume, but many would read that as bore volume OR case volume alone.

Cheers.

Hard to believe in overkill after I've seen elk (more than one now) absorb multiple .338 RUM rounds at under 100 yards and not flinch.
Added: Been looking at one of your favorites the .375 Ruger.:D
Shock makes all sorts of animals fail to react even when they are literally the walking dead no matter the caliber being used.

You'll like the .375 Ruger if you get one, out to about 600yds it's a stomper. I picked up another Sharpshooter last night, what may be either a one of a kind or at least one of very few in .300 Rum, all stainless and which came with a McMillan stock from the custom shop so I may shoot it if I like it and take one of the others and go ahead and build my 28" version to see just how much further I can stretch the Ruger. ;)

Shilon makes a good barrel. Pac-nor also makes a good barrel. There are others out there to.
I think you mean "Shilen".

http://www.shilen.com/productsRifleBarrels.html

You're right though in that there are today quite a few great manufacturers to be found.

Just a decade or so back we were limited to really about a half dozen or dozen quality barrel MFG's and today it's more like dozens.

I think you mean "Shilen".

http://www.shilen.com/productsRifleBarrels.html

You're right though in that there are today quite a few great manufacturers to be found.

Just a decade or so back we were limited to really about a half dozen or dozen quality barrel MFG's and today it's more like dozens.

You got it. Thanks for the correction. Got one on my 06 and like it.

When I decided I wanted a 338 in my safe, I did a lot of research on which one to get. I seriously considered the Edge and the RUM, but ended up picking the 338 Lapua (I'm glad I chose it. It's been a very accurate cartridge and a joy to shoot.) Main reason the Lapua got the nod was the availability of brass. Although it's not an issue right now, you couldn't get your hands on any 300 or 338 RUM brass for a long time. Not the case with the Lapua. Plus, there is a ton of factory ammo for the Lapua if you ever need it. I went through the low availability of brass for my 7 STW and became a hoarder of this brass, and didn't feel like going through that again. I have a lifetime supply of it now......good thing I love that cartridge

I hunt out west a lot where you can shoot about as far as you want to. I also have been reloading for a long time and no factory ammo will be used.....so that being said for a (let's say 1200yd MAX) mule deer/elk rifle and shooting steel which would you go with?

Again I know what it costs to reload 300 RUM and 338 Lapua and that isn't a factor.
I live in Southern Utah and have used the .300 wby for 32 years and loved it for 500-600 yards, But the long range itch got to me and I began looking for a really accurate LR rifle. Before I go onto this web site I found that the .338 by .300 RUM (.338 Edge) was just what I needed. I could buy Remington .300 RUM brass cheap and neck it out to .338. Did some playing with many powders and 300 grn. Sierra Match King bullets. Landed with IMR 7828. On a whim I tried 300 grn. Berger's and now shoot .300 grn. Berger Hunter
Then upgraded to Norma brass and slowed the bullet down a bit and at 2808 fps ave. Groups are in a dime. I shot one Long distance Antelope (overkill? - Dead is dead) at 873 yards. Iv.e been packing that heavy rifle for the last 2 years looking for that long range elk. Haven't found him yet!! Still go to the .300 wby for deer though.

I hunt out west a lot where you can shoot about as far as you want to. I also have been reloading for a long time and no factory ammo will be used.....so that being said for a (let's say 1200yd MAX) mule deer/elk rifle and shooting steel which would you go with?

Again I know what it costs to reload 300 RUM and 338 Lapua and that isn't a factor.
338 LM hands down.

I live in Southern Utah and have used the .300 wby for 32 years and loved it for 500-600 yards, But the long range itch got to me and I began looking for a really accurate LR rifle. Before I go onto this web site I found that the .338 by .300 RUM (.338 Edge) was just what I needed. I could buy Remington .300 RUM brass cheap and neck it out to .338. Did some playing with many powders and 300 grn. Sierra Match King bullets. Landed with IMR 7828. On a whim I tried 300 grn. Berger's and now shoot .300 grn. Berger Hunter
Then upgraded to Norma brass and slowed the bullet down a bit and at 2808 fps ave. Groups are in a dime. I shot one Long distance Antelope (overkill? - Dead is dead) at 873 yards. Iv.e been packing that heavy rifle for the last 2 years looking for that long range elk. Haven't found him yet!! Still go to the .300 wby for deer though.
Can you do the same thing with 300wmag? or is the case too small ?

Can you do the same thing with 300wmag? or is the case too small ?
If you mean neck it up to .338, sure you can. However you will only get a little more performance than the .338 WinMag, might as well buy a .340 Weatherby.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.