300 win mag Superperformance

Gobbler256

I'm trying to develop a load very close to the Hornady Superperformance 300 WM 180gr SST @3130fps. Does anyone have info on what powder Hornady used and where to buy it? I know Hodgkin makes SF powder for the smaller calibers.
Any help would be appreciated but please be very specific!!

Ammo manufacturers use special blends not available to the public. Just look in loading manuals for powders that would give you that speed at around 95% load capacity or more. Thats what I would do, or model it in software, shoot, chronograph, adjust, repeat

Mine is a Green River 5R 31+" and a 2" brake. I am partial to IMR 7828 and I think the other one was RL 25. I always wanted to try the slower RL powders but never got any. I was getting 1 hole groups at 100.

Ammo manufacturers use special blends not available to the public.

Absolutely correct and more so in this situation. This particular powder is specially created for higher velocities while staying within the accepted pressure curve.

Hornady Superperformance 300 WM 180gr SST @3130fps.

Superformance:

What calibers can I hand load or reload with Hodgdon Superformance powder?

Hornady started loading the Superformance line of ammunition in 2010. Hodgdon followed up with the introduction of a Superformance powder available for hand loaders. However, the one Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells is not usable in all rifle calibers. Like all powders, it has a particular burn rate and will work great in some cases, OK in others and should not be used in the rest. A hand loader wouldn't think of using Varget or Retumbo in all their calibers from 17 Hornet to 375 H&H. Neither should they think of Superformance in that way.

Hornady uses commercial-grade Superformance powders of varying burn rates and also blends powders to offer a full line of Superformance cartridges. The Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells is one particular burn rate that does well in some short magnum cartridges along with some others, which are listed in their load data and also in the latest editions of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.

You can reload and test the powders which will yield the same or similar velocity as the Superformance but might not yield the same accuracy. Difference powders perform uniquely depending on your brass, barrel, and primers. So the solution is to try those powders which perform in the velocity range your attempting to mimic and adjust. Don't be afraid to try other powders also which could be slightly outside the range of your factory ammunition.

Enjoy the process!

:)

I'm trying to develop a load very close to the Hornady Superperformance 300 WM 180gr SST @3130fps. Does anyone have info on what powder Hornady used and where to buy it? I know Hodgkin makes SF powder for the smaller calibers.
Any help would be appreciated but please be very specific!!
24" bbl. here--I've seen 3150 with a 180 Hornady in a 300 win with rl22 and ww2 surp h4831... I have seen 3100 fps with a 180 Hornady with I 7828 and h1000... H4831 sc had a hard time breaking 3000 fps with my rifles with 180's.

I've been working with a heavily compressed Retumbo charge on a 180 Interlock lately... I was trying to get it to shoot in the new Savage Impulse we got over the winter, but my Browning ab2 ss likes it a LOT. The Savage is happier with a 200 eld-x/ v565 combo or rl22 and a 165 Hornady Interlock fb.. A previous Ruger #1 in 300win we had (brother's pipe) would do around 3200 fps with this retumbo/ 180 combo, but I haven't chrono'd this rifle(Browning). I know it's at pressure which SHOULD be over 3100 fps.

24" bbl. here--I've seen 3150 with a 180 Hornady in a 300 win with rl22 and ww2 surp h4831... I have seen 3100 fps with a 180 Hornady with I 7828 and h1000... H4831 sc had a hard time breaking 3000 fps with my rifles with 180's.

I've been working with a heavily compressed Retumbo charge on a 180 Interlock lately... I was trying to get it to shoot in the new Savage Impulse we got over the winter, but my Browning ab2 ss likes it a LOT. The Savage is happier with a 200 eld-x/ v565 combo or rl22 and a 165 Hornady Interlock fb.. A previous Ruger #1 in 300win we had (brother's pipe) would do around 3200 fps with this retumbo/ 180 combo, but I haven't chrono'd this rifle(Browning). I know it's at pressure which SHOULD be over 3100 fps.
Do you know how many gr of the RL22 was used to get that fps?

Do you know how many gr of the RL22 was used to get that fps?
I'd work up to 75... check a manual with a similar bullet of course. I was using 215's and ww brass...

Winchester3.3424CCI 250Reloder 22773,055
This is what Alliant posts with the 180 speer fb bullet. I usually run 78 rl22 on a 165, so the data actually seems a bit warm to me, even if the vel. is a bit lower than I'd expect...