300 win mag - RL22

NRF

I would like some real life statistics from guys that shoot this powder/caliber in different altitudes and temperatures and what you guys are seeing with changes in POI, ES and SD's?
I have an amazing load development with RL22 but people are warning me that my same loads won't shoot the same in western states and different altitudes compared to my location in southeastern Nebraska. Let me know your thoughts, I'm currently working up another load with H1000.
Thank you,
NF

Tagging in here. In my early reloading days I picked up RL 22 for my .300WM and saw great results. I was then told by a long time reloader to run from it because of temp stability and switch to 4831sc. I did and have always wondered what I might be missing.

Ive been running RL22 for 12 years and my SD is right at 11 which I'm fine with. I'm pushing 208 Amax and 210 Berger's at 2905 and 2890 respectively.
I shoot in temps of 30-85 degrees and haven't seen any issues, and I hunt in temps below zero and also haven't seen any issues.
The reason I'm asking is because some of my shooting group is saying that Alliant powders are more temperature sensitive that others?

Works awesome and my go ton in my A Bolt with 165 and 180's. Worked good in my Savage just not as good as H1000 with 175's.

Last edited:
Ive been running RL22 for 12 years and my SD is right at 11 which I'm fine with. I'm pushing 208 Amax and 210 Berger's at 2905 and 2890 respectively.
I shoot in temps of 30-85 degrees and haven't seen any issues, and I hunt in temps below zero and also haven't seen any issues.
The reason I'm asking is because some of my shooting group is saying that Alliant powders are more temperature sensitive that others?
Forget all the diatribe on temp sensitive babble. Just clutter taking up internet space. Something new will come around when it gets old news. I can't even remember when I started using 22 it was so long ago. My data is at home and I'll guess back 15-20 years or more.

I love RE22 in my 300wm with 208 Amax's and in my .260 with 140 Amax's. I have shot in single digit temperatures to around 100 degrees. I have had no issues with temperature or altitude changes. When it gets around 90 plus degrees my WM has a little more resistance to opening the bolt but no POI shift. I am pushing the 208 at 2940. I'm running low on RE22, so if you want to get rid of some...

My Stainless Stalker in .300 Win Mag loved Rel22. I would get 3200fps with a 180gr Nosler Partition out of a 26 inch barrel and best accuracy. I hunted sheep at 85 degrees and deer at well below zero with the same load. I did go to the range a couple times during the season to see if there was a shift but I do that with all my rifles because they get knocked around a bit carrying them in the mountains. Never had a problem with the load - except maybe getting enough powder when I wanted it.

I run Reloader 22 in my 300 win mags as well as my 7 mm mags. I developed a load for my 300's using RL22 and 200 grain Accubonds in South Dakota at temps of 60-80 degrees. Not sure of the elevation, but I flew up to Alaska with that gun and handloads, flew up into the Brooks range and shot a Caribou with it at temps of 30-40 degrees. Blew the top of his heart off at 215 yards and it was precisely where I was aiming. I noticed no difference between the elevation and temps from home to Alaska. I have also always heard the RL22 was temp sensitive, but I have never experienced it. Love me some RL22 powder! As with any hunting trip, when you arrive at your destination to hunt, it is wise to shoot a few rounds and verify your rifle/ammo before hunting. I am sure you know this.....

Recent Posts