.300 Win.Mag./Ramshot Magnum Powder

Jim Hundley

Has anybody used this powder in a .300 win.mag.?I would like to load a Barnes 168gr.TSX with this powder,but before I do,would like some opinions on this.Anybody with any input or advice?
Thanks,
Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody used this powder in a .300 win.mag.?I would like to load a Barnes 168gr.TSX with this powder,but before I do,would like some opinions on this.Anybody with any input or advice?
Thanks,
Jimmy

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimmy,
I can't comment on Ramshot, sorry.
I have loaded 168gr TSX's with RL22 and IMR4350 with very good results.
The RL22 gave me nice velocity,(3260fps) and the IMR4350 gave me superb, sub moa accuracy...sakofan..Hope that helps some.

I have a friend who loads 85.5 gr of Magnum powder with a Fed 215 primer. Should be OK for you, but near max. Watch how you seat the Barnes bullets. Start .050 off the lands, and then adjust in and out for accuracy. Never go less that .030, but some guns shoot better at .100+. If you go towards .030 clearance, back off your powder as pressures will rise. Magnum is a good powder and very temperature stable. Deviations were under 10 Sd.

Jimmy, I am interested in it also. I purchased some the other day to try in my 257 wby and 7mm Rem Mag. What I hear is it is a very good powder, frankly, all of the Ramshots are good powders, they burn very clean, and are noted for low standard dieviation numbers, plus they arent very sensitive to temperature changes. Biggest disadvantage is they havent caught on well yet, so many stores arent carrying it.

Wapiti13,
What velocity is your friend getting with that load/barrel length?My rifle has a 25.5" Hart.I am loading Lapua brass and GM215M primer.Bullet seated .030" off.
Thanks,
Jimmy

Aggiedog,
I'll keep you posted on the outcome-going to try the Ramshot Magnum.I am currently loading 83grs.H-1000 at 3215fps.The load is compressed.Hoping the Magnum will settle better.
Jimmy

AggieDog,
Tried the R.S.Magnum today with the 168gr.TSX.Loads were 78-84 grs.Velocities were 3007-3291 fps.This is for my rifle,yours might differ.Watch for pressure by loading in 1/2 gr.increases.84gr.in my rifle showed ejection marks,so it was to hot.Will shoot for accurany,ES/SD next time.I am willing to bet that it will shoot from todays results.
Jimmy

"The RL22 gave me nice velocity,(3260fps)...sakofan"

May I ask what length barrel you have? Is that a near max load?

I am trying to decide on which mag I should get- 300 win mag, 300 Dakota, 300 Weatherby.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.