300 win mag load to hot for some brass

bobcat trapper

I have a load for a 300 win mag 76.5 h1000 and a 210 vlds i have shot this load for years in remington brass and have never had any problems. Due to this darn shortage I picked up some norma and nosler brass. I have only loaded the nosler brass and this load is way to hot trys to pop primers bolt opens but brass sticks to the point i need to tap it out with a rod. Has anyone else had this trouble? Will the norma brass be the same way?

I've had that happen with my 7STW, but that's just b/c the brass was shot so many times it had expanded too much and wasn't retracting as much as it used to. So I had to scrap some of that brass and buy some new ones. I'm going to the range tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that worked out.

If he seats his bullets to SAAMI specs, he can try seating them closer to the rifling, and that will help to eliminate some of the case pressure, by seating them out farther, and might help prevent his issues. It's worth a shot.

one more grain could be ive shot hundreds of them with zero problems in that gun. ill try backing it off some. should aso mention there moly coated.

one more grain could be ive shot hundreds of them with zero problems in that gun. ill try backing it off some. should aso mention there moly coated.
Yes, and you should have backed off some any way since you are using a different brand of brass. That should be standard procedure when changing brass. JMO

I shoot Norma brass exclusively in my 300WM with 210 Hunting Bergers. I load 76.5 gr of H1000 with no pressure signs. I get 10+ reloads out of them. I've been as high as 77gr with no pressure signs I seat them .010" off the lands in my Rem Milspec.

Nosler 6th edition lists 75.5 gr of H1000 as max for a 220 gr bullet.
I have been shooting the 210 HVLD in Win brass at more than the 76.5 gr you were and I'm not sure I should even say how much more.
But everyone's miliage may vary, don't ignore pressure signs, it's Mother Nature and the laws of physics speaking to you.

You need to watch velocity as you work up a new component. If the velocity increases over your old load so did pressure.

It is possible you got into some softer brass (Nosler tends toward this), but your load is pretty warm and the brass is probably telling you want you don't want to know.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.