300 win mag Ladder Results

I'm not saying seating depth should always be first, but it's another idea to get a more discernible ladder test. At the moment the only thing working is starting loads. Maybe powder choice is another, aside from shooter error
Btw Berger recommends a seating depth for all their bullets, ask one of their technicians. I have
Agreed, the 215's "generally" aren't as finicky as the VLD's but as we know every barrel is different, but why not eliminate the rough seating depth variable first before you invest the time and money in a ladder and have to shoot the whole thing over ?

sorry but you have that 100 % WRONG.
you are talking about a tall target test, ladder testing is the first firing step in load development.
"ar10..." is correct. Get a good grouping load THEN do the ladder test.

Remember, a "ladder test" is to test the SCOPE turrets and their accuracy of adjustment. **(Your scope must have been perfectly vertically mounted and you MUST shoot using a scope level.)

Another even better ladder test is a vertical ladder with a 3 foot exactly vertical line on a big cardboard target. Use a level to get it exactly vertical. On that vertical line draw 6" horizontal lines 3 3/8" apart (for mil turrets).

Shoot 3 shots at the lowest "rung" then click your scope ONE mil up.
BUT KEEP YOUR CROSSHAIR ON THE LOWEST "RUNG" . Then shoot 3 more shots.
Keep clicking up one mill and keep aiming at the bottom rung. You will see if your scope is clicking up at the proper amount AND if your reticle is perfectly vertical.

If your shots gradually wander left or right as you go up the ladder you have a reticle out of vertical GIVEN that the scope is mounted exactly vertical and you used a scope level for shooting.

Eric B.

because they are NOT vld's
Agreed, the 215's "generally" aren't as finicky as the VLD's but as we know every barrel is different, but why not eliminate the rough seating depth variable first before you invest the time and money in a ladder and have to shoot the whole thing over ?

Thanks for info... I was mainly trying to find max load and check velocities with this ladder. Also looking for some nodes.

After the results, the H1000 gave me more velocity than the 8133. I think I'll go back to h1000 and try it again. I had some decent results around 77-78 and then higher but they were too hot.

Start at .015 OFF THE LANDS. Then WORK BACK INTO THE CARTRIDGE CASE IN .005 INCREMENTS. effects of bullet seating depth can be found here: http://www.bergerbullets.com/effect...coal-and-cartridge-base-to-ogive-cbto-part-1/

http://www.bergerbullets.com/effect...coal-and-cartridge-base-to-ogive-cbto-part-2/
Any bullet seating depthtesting should be done at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Once the bullet seating depth accuracy node is found. Work rthe powder charge back up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy until your highest velocity accuracy node is found.
Let me know what you find and if you have any more questions. Thanks for using our bullets !!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.