Results on 300 win mag.

TGM

This is what I tried. IMR 4350 @ 69.3 grs.with Hornandy 180 gr. btsp interlock seated at 3.402 2 1/2 in groups at 200 yds, IMR 4350 @69.3 grs. with nosler balastic 180 grs.3 1/4 in group at 200 yds, IMR 4350 @69.3 grs 180 gr.rem. cor lokt 4 in group at 200 yds. I also tried these same combo with IMR 4350 @ 70.0 grs.the nosler balastic went crazy I was all over the paper, the other 2 were about the same.I reseated to 3.340 and started all over, at the 70.0 gr of IMR 4350 with hornandy was still at 2 1/2 in at 200yds noseler ballastic still close to 4 in. group, rem cor lokt was at just hair over 2 in.The last group was with IMR 4350 @ 69.3 grs Hornandy was 1 1/4 rem cor lokt was a hair over 2in. noseler were still out there close to 4 in. These were all 5 shot groups. I cleaned the gun every 15 rounds. It took me just about 8 hrs today. But I loved every minute of it. It got frustrating I had to quit for hour then go back to it but this is best I can do with the equipment I have. Thank you all again for the response

Terry

Why did you clean the rifle after every 15 rounds?
Did the accuracy start to drop off after 15?
What shapes were the groups?

I thought it was the right thing to do at the time. Is this a problem that I do this. If so please explain why or why not would appreciate the reason.

Ty Terry

Terry,
Over the years I have had 5 different 300 Win Mag's and not one of them has liked IMR4350 ,some people I have talked to have had some success with it but not me. my previous 300 Win Mag loved H4831 but the one I presently shoot absolutely hates it ,but it loves RL22. I have seen very few 300 Win Mags that wont shoot RL22 well. what I am telling you is try a different powder and if you still cant get acceptable results find a gunsmith with a borescope.
B

Brian, The gun shoots excellent at 100yds with IMR 4350 powder at 69.3 grs. using rem corlokt 180 grains seated at 3.340 5 shots group could cover with a quater. I shoot a Ruger M77. But for some reason I cant even come close at 200 yds at 300 yds its a joke little over 5 in group. I know this is in the kill zone but I want to do better like to get it down to at least 2 1/2 group at 300 yds. So when I do go out west to hunt I'm confident at that range.

Ty for your concern

Terry,
The reason I suggested trying RL22 or a different powder is because I had the same problem with one of my guns a few years ago,a custom 6mmAI that would shoot half MOA at 100 yards and half moose at 300 yards a simple change of powder straightened it right out,imr4350 is a bit on the faster burn rate for a 300 WM and RL22 is on the slower side it is worth a try
B
p.s.try RL22 with another bullet also the Rem corlokt is a junk bullet

Terry, I've read your other post and I'm far from an expert first thing I'd do is change scopes next I'd change powders. I just pick up my new custom 300mag tues and getting 3 shot groups less than 1/2" at 100yds with those rem 180gr bullets and H-4831SC haven't shot it a 200 or 300yds yet but it should do pretty well has a Krieger barrel. My other 300mag has a Lilja barrel and I use the same load gives about 1 1/2" at 300yds and in the last 3yrs that rifle has taken a pretty nice 6x6 and 5x5 elk plus one cow elk,one coyote,one bear and 2 deer all with 180gr rem bullet. I've given that rifle to my nephew and the new one is it's replacement. I was playing with a 300rum last year and found some loads shot good at 100 and lousy at 300 (our range only goes to 300yds) shot afew different powders the rifle had a bedding job,recrowned and trigger job plus I changed scopes fired less than 75 rds and that rifle is my new 300mag. As I get older I set less rds trying to get something to shoot. Another thing you could do is buy a box of factory loads and see how they do at 100/300yds. Just my .02. Tom

Terry there is and old saying amounst benchrest shooters. "100 yards test the equipment, 200 yards tests the shooter". Are you shooting with windflags? You got to be able to see'm to hit them. When I test, I put on a 36 power sscope, that I know to be good. No I don't hunt with that scope but I do test with it. An accurate rifle is a rifle that can be steeried, but you have to be able to see your bullet holes to know where to steer the shot. You've got to be able to read conditions, know when to hold off, pick a condition and make a run. Please remember shooting small groups is always easier done in print than at the range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Terry,

I would not be so defensive of your 4350. H4831 gave me 0.27" with 200 grian bullets while RL22 gave me the best results with 180 grain bullets this weekend out of my win70 with a new 1 in 11" twist broughton. I have tried 4350 in my 300 win mag and only got 1" at very best. 4350 can work OK with lighter bullets (150s occasionally 165s), but even then you need to try several different powders. It is a well known fact that more competitions with the 300 win mag have been won with H4831 (either long or short) than with any other powder. RL22 is a more than proven powder with the 180 grain bullets (does work with 165 and 200 grainers occasionally in my experience).

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was the right thing to do at the time. Is this a problem that I do this. If so please explain why or why not would appreciate the reason.

Ty Terry

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found some barrels prefer to group dirty after 5 or six shots they tighten up for many rounds 20-50 or so before they start to open up the group again.

You still didn't describe your group shape!

My group was like this one be to the rightof the bulls,next one would be to the leftof the first shot.3 rd shot was low 4th was lower yet 5 th was right of the first shot, or sometimes with nosler balastic tips it was so spurratic, I could have done better with eyes closed. I'm going to switch powders RL 22 and try all over again and dont clean the rifle until I'm done shooting and thank you for your expertice.
Terry

I'm going to try RL 22 powder and start from scratch, maybe saturday again. What I cant understand I can get results with IMR 4350 at 100 yds with rem. 180 gr. corlokt.5 shot group cover up with a quater but at 200 and 300 yds I cant come close. But just maybe RL 22 will be my answer. Thank you again for the info.
Terry

Thanks roper for the advice I'm going to try RL 22 powder maybe saturday maybe this will be my answer.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.