300 win mag is splitting cases.

Okay, so NS is a lazy way of fixing excessive FL re-sizing.

Is there serious problems with not having .001"-.002" cartridges less (at the shoulder) than chamber headspace? Other than functoning. Does it cause pressure issues, for example?

Normally if you full length re-size 300 Win Mag will run 3-4 reloads, and the third time you shoot the same 20 pieces of brass 2 of them will split there above the belt. I'm not sure on belted Mags, the clame is that neck sizing increases the life of brass 10 times. I do it because there is less trimming.

Your statement above about FL sizing the way you obviously do causing brass to only last 3-4 reloadings speaks for itself. Reloaders that learn how to properly set up FL dies get way over that.

No pressure problems are caused by FL or NS.

Now if cost of brass is no problem and you run each and every round thru your gun before a hunt to ensure it will chamber due to becoming oversize because you NS only, then no other problems and continue to do it. However, any perceived advantages other than not having to measure shoulder have not proven to be there.

BH

Thanks, for being patient with my ignorance about NS and FL sizing.

It seems I learn something new, to me, all of the time. There is so much myth, and half true information that is common in the shooting/reloading world.

I set up a long range semi-auto, a Belgium Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag with 180 Nosler Accubonds and 75 grs of H-4831 and a Millett TRS-1 and I love it. I bought a Combo Die set fro Sinclairs that has a FL and a SB sizer die just in case, it feeds without a flaw on the FL. I cannot get by with NS on a semi-auto. I had the barrel threaded and put a Miculek Brake on it and it is a blast to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.