300 Win. Mag. Is it the all-around cartrige?

Crusty Buck

When I got back from Alaska last summer I realized that I didn't have a gun big enough for defending myself against Brownies. I am also driven to fire 500 rds. per year or so from the bench. After doing some research, I sold my hole- in-one 308 Win. and bought a Thompson Venture in 300 Win. Mag. I have have not been disappointed with the accuracy of this gun, but I am taking a bit of a beating from the bench. The 6.5 mm guys that I compete against just shake their heads in disgust when it's my turn to spit lead. Here's the question: Is there a cartrige out there that will ward off big bear and not punish you from the bench?

Thanks,

Crusty Buck

When I got back from Alaska last summer I realized that I didn't have a gun big enough for defending myself against Brownies. I am also driven to fire 500 rds. per year or so from the bench. After doing some research, I sold my hole- in-one 308 Win. and bought a Thompson Venture in 300 Win. Mag. I have have not been disappointed with the accuracy of this gun, but I am taking a bit of a beating from the bench. The 6.5 mm guys that I compete against just shake their heads in disgust when it's my turn to spit lead. Here's the question: Is there a cartrige out there that will ward off big bear and not punish you from the bench?

Thanks,

Crusty Buck
NO I dont think so, at least not in my mind. When I think Alaska bears I think big like 375 and up. I think what you need is another gun or a muzzle brake.

I second that. Yes a 300 will kill a brownie but I agree. I would have a 375 or better. There is nothing that will slam a Brownie thats going to be less recoil than your 300.

Yeah, I thought that's what you guys would say. I have considered a muzzle break and probably should bite the bullet and get one installed. I don't like the extra noise though. As far as the bears are concerned, I've read about outfitters in Alaska who favored the 35 Wheelen for their fast action protection. I've never had an encounter with a bear, so I'm not qualified to say one way or the other. I know a couple of guys up there who think the 338 Win. is the ticket. I like the 300's potential and I like the idea of a muzzle break.

Appreciated,

Crusty Buck

Muzzle break will help. Realizing you don't have to shoot Brown Bear loads from the bench would also help. I'd agree with as much gun as you can handle for protection, if that's your 300, get yourself some 220 Nosler partitions loaded up. Load them when you feel the need. Bears are only dangerous up close, so the loads don't have to group, or even shoot to the same POI necessarily.

Get a suppressor, Thunderbeast Arms makes a great one that doubles as a muzzle break. Much less noise and recoil. It's worth the expense.

I'm interested in knowing more about the suppressor that doubles as a muzzle break. My home state of Minnesota doesn't currently allow supressors, however the arguments for them out weigh the fears legislators have about them. My neighbors would sure welcome one on my 300 winnie when I'm tunning up for a match. I bought the 300 knowing that I could use 220 Nosler Partitions for Bear and and Moose. I'd be interested in hearing from some one who had an encounter with a Brownie using a 300 Win Mag. I'm not ready for a 300 RUM as previously suggested, muzzle break or not, but I may need to "Gun Up" a bit. Has any one out their had experience with the 375 Scovil ? On paper it looks like it packs more punch than the 300 Win. Mag.

Thanks,

Crusty Buck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts