My 223 Started it all

Idaho Shooter

Hello from Idaho,
A couple of years back I started load testing for my S&W AR15T, mostly for therapeutic reasons, and was shocked with the results. After some months of experimenting I was able to shoot a five shot group measuring 3/8 of an inch. With a new level of confidence, I determined to use it for deer and was fortunate enough to take nice three point mule deer at 316 yards.
Through a series of events, I had to sight in the rifle again and found myself shooting at a paper plate at 595 yards. How I ended up shooting at this range is a mystery…I must have had a weak moment. Trying factory and handloads out of my range bag, I could not hit 2'x4' panel even if my life depended on it. Then I found ten rounds of the handloads that produced the 3/8 inch group from the year before. The first five shot group measured 3.5 inches while the second measured 4.5 inches. Now that was exciting!
More recently I built my first AR15 using an 18-inch barrel with a 1:8 twist…starting the loading process all over again using Berger 70gr VLDs I was able to drop a couple a dastardly looking milk jugs at 756 yards. Later I tried to stretch the distance to 940 yards but did little more than scare those poor little milk jugs to death.
Finally, this spring I found myself laying behind a 408 Cheytec shooting 1275 yards marking the 15-inch plate five out of six times. I love the sound of metal.
So why am I joining this forum? Addiction! I want to learn more and do more breaking personal paradigms wherever possible.
Way to much info I know but it's good to be aboard.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.