300 win mag in Browning rifle

I shot a bunch of test loads today in the BBR with IMR7828, Fed. 215, 200gr. AB, Norma brass. They shot consistent as well. The speed was a bit faster too. I'm gonna go a bit hotter yet, as I haven't seen any signs of trouble at all yet. But, looking at numbers downrange, the 100fps I'm trying to get may not be worth it at all. I'll zero at 250yds., and dial up for ranges longer than 300 yds. I think I'll stay with my load of 79gr. of RL25. Now, I've just gotta wait for summer to get here so I can go out to the prairie with my portable steel gong setup I made and do some shooting. Then I'll see just how good these 200gr. AB are.

I know this is getting to be an older thread but I'll add my two cents anyways. I have been using all the reloader powders in one cartridge or another for a long time. I found the reloader 25 worked fantastic in the ultramags but in the 3oo winchester and my 30-338 the reloader 22 is the king. You will find it fills or nearly fills the brass at the time you hit max. Most people I know are using it and I have seen some pretty nice groups under .5 inch with out of the box rugers and remingtons. My 30-338 shoots .26-.29 groups with it if I do my job.Watch your brass for signs of pressure and, if you don't know what to look ,for most loading manuals go into great detail.

I like A-Squares manual better than most for explaining the whats and whys of reloading. You mentioned wanting to start out with the right stuff so you could save on bullets wasted. Any time you are planning to shoot long range on animals as majestic as elk (or any other breathing critter) Any bullet shot in practice is not wasted. You still had to bear down and concentrate on the shot. I have been shooting extreme long shots in practice if not always at critters since '92. Practice all you can because if you don't do your job, some poor animal is most likely going to be wounded and lost. They are easy to hit but harder to hit right. Most bulls that have been fighting and f****** will be wore out and if wounded bad enough they most likely won't make it through winter, they will fever up and be sick for a long time before they die. They are an amazingly tough animal.

I love the hunt also but I try my best to not lose any animal. I didn't want to put all this on anybody but I have lived in North Idaho all my life and I have watched the long range elk shooting blossom into something people think they have to do. I have seen people shooting in excess of 800 yards with a rifle they have barely sighted in let alone practice with. They too wanted to save bullets.

The fact that you are reloading is a good sign, I wish you the best of luck. Long range shooting is addictive. But shooting a bull at short range can't be matched for excitement. I think it is the look in their eyes when they realize they messed up. I hunt for the short shots but I carry a long range rifle that I know very well for the shot of a lifetime that may show up at long range.

Thanks for the reply to the thread. I value your opinion. However, when I said that I didn't want to waste bullets, I didn't mean I didn't plan to shoot lots and practice, I just didn't want to shoot all my shells trying to find a load.

The BBR shot great, but I ended up getting a different rifle. A Sako 85 in 300 Win mag. It shoots great as well, but has a longer magazine length and isn't nearly as heavy to carry.

I tried the 180gr AB in it with RL25 and it shot great. I have some test loads made up with H4831 right now I'm going to shoot in the morning.

Thanks again for your comment.

Just an afterthought on the 300's, I have taken Howas in 300 winchester and just had them rechambered for the ultramags and if I am right some of the Sako's are long enough actions to do this. When I paid a gunsmith to do this it was only $75. The Howas didn't need any work done to feed properly. I am finishing up an 8mm ultramag for my brother right now.

the ultramag case is a fantastic cartridge for shoving those heavier 30 cal bullets down range. With a good muzzle break you can even spot for yourself. Most of the 300 winchesters come with a 24 inch barrel. I chronograph everything and if the 24 inch barrel shoots well you will be able to jump up quite a bit with the bigger case. Believe it or not the velocity loss of a 24 in barrel compared to the 26 in one that comes standard on an ultramag is not so great. Just a thought, I'm one of those guys who likes to try everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.