300 win mag build

dmax1800

I got my 300 win mag back from the gunsmith last week. It is based on a FN Winchester model 70. It used to be an Extreme Weather. It has a McMillan stock (bedded), 26" Hart barrel #5 contour fluted free floated, muscle brake, Timney trigger set at 2.5 pounds, ejector blade shortened, bolt face squared and lugs lapped. Will I tell you the name of the gunsmith, NO! If the gun shoots like I think it will, he is already BUSY and if I have him do another gun for me, I don't want him to be anymore swamped than he already is. If it doesn't shoot, then I don't want to and won't recommend a gunsmith that doesn't do good work.

With all this, you are probably wondering and are going to ask, "yeah, but how does it shoot?" :rolleyes: Well, it has been either too cold or too windy to try it out. I'm hoping that it will shoot .5" or better at 100 yards. I'm going to try Sierra GameKings to do a short break in and to see how they shoot. Then I'm going to try Nosler accubonds in a ladder test. This is my primary elk rifle.

You want pictures, you got pictures!

P.S. For those of you that remember my post about B********* barrels, yes, this is the second barrel I've had on the rifle. If you want to know more about the previous barrel, send me a PM. I'll explain.

300 WM 1.jpg

300 WM 2.jpg

300 WM 3.jpg

Im upgrading my 300 WSM FN/Win 70 in a very similar fashion. I'm sure it will shoot great.

That's a good looking rifle. I can't wait to get my custom 300 WM back in the next 2 weeks. Its been a long 9 months.. Let us know how it shoots

That's a good looking rifle.

Thanks moto. I shot it yesterday, but only 4 times to sight in the scope. I was more concerned about getting my 22-250 sighted in, so I ran out of daylight. It has either been TOO cold or TOO windy to shoot for the last week.

First thing I've noticed, is that with the Hart barrel IT DOES NOT COPPER FOUL! I cleaned it last night with Hoppe's no 9 and got a lot of carbon, but very little copper. I then tried some Bore Tech copper remover and got very little copper. I talked to Hart last week and they said that since the barrel was hand lapped and polished, it should not copper foul.

In comparison, the Benchmark barrel I used to have on the gun copper fouled badly and quickly. After 20 to 25 shots it took 2 to 3 cycles of 3 wet patches, nylon brush, 3 wet patches with 20 minutes to overnight between cycles to get the copper out.

After I get some shots to fire form some brass, do a couple of ladder tests and shoot some 3 shot groups for powder verification, I'll post the results. I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm hoping for at least less than .75", and maybe .5" at 100 yards.

Thanks moto. I shot it yesterday, but only 4 times to sight in the scope. I was more concerned about getting my 22-250 sighted in, so I ran out of daylight. It has either been TOO cold or TOO windy to shoot for the last week.

First thing I've noticed, is that with the Hart barrel IT DOES NOT COPPER FOUL! I cleaned it last night with Hoppe's no 9 and got a lot of carbon, but very little copper. I then tried some Bore Tech copper remover and got very little copper. I talked to Hart last week and they said that since the barrel was hand lapped and polished, it should not copper foul.

In comparison, the Benchmark barrel I used to have on the gun copper fouled badly and quickly. After 20 to 25 shots it took 2 to 3 cycles of 3 wet patches, nylon brush, 3 wet patches with 20 minutes to overnight between cycles to get the copper out.

After I get some shots to fire form some brass, do a couple of ladder tests and shoot some 3 shot groups for powder verification, I'll post the results. I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm hoping for at least less than .75", and maybe .5" at 100 yards.

That's why in my opinion Hart barrels are the best. I'm surprised more competition shooters don't shoot them. That Hart ought to shoot lights out!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.