New 300 win mag build need help

datsjeep

I just purchased a 300 win mag that I plan on re building. Excuse me if this is a dumb question, this is my first project and I am new to reloading. I ordered a Lilja barrel already. My question is in the throating of that barrel. Today I was loading some dummies up to determine the max length that will work in the magazine. My gun smith told me to do this and bring him the rounds with the barrel so he can throat it the correct distance limiting the jump. He told me to seat the bullet as far out as I can preferably with the only part of the bullet past the neck being the boat tail.

I did this with a 200 grain Accubond. With only the boat tail inside the shoulder it just fits in the magazine.

I then loaded a 185 grain berger. To seat it safely the OAL is .093 shorter to the ogive than the the accubond.

If I want to have both bullets have the same length to the ogive I will need to seat the accubonds .093 deeper. If I throated the barrel based off the Accubond then the Berger would have a considerable jump.

What is the better way to go seating the accubond deeper thus having the same ogive distance but the accubond would be seated well past the shoulder or leaving the accubond seated longer and having a big jump on berger? I obviously have to make a decision before taking the barel in.

Ya I read those and understand seating the Bergers close to the lands. The only way I will be able to do that is if I seat the Accubonds deeper into the shoulder and throat the barrel to fit both bullets. I am just not sure if seating the Accubond that low is a good idea or not. If I throat to accept the Bergers I wont have a choice but to seat the Accubonds deeper so I am trying to figure this out before I throat the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.