300 win mag Brass

barrycuda

Recently purchased a Tikka in 300 win mag and have been trying to find reloading components. Looking for brass recommendations. Wanting to use the 212 eld-x and h1000 or RS Magnum. Just starting out with this caliber, is Nosler brass worth the $ or will Winchester be ok?

Lapua, ADG, or Peterson

Norma isn't as robust as the top 3, but is good. Nosler is probably in the same tier.

That new Peterson Long offering looks like a good concept, and if reviews come in positive, it is likely to be my next 300 mag brass supply.

Recently purchased a Tikka in 300 win mag and have been trying to find reloading components. Looking for brass recommendations. Wanting to use the 212 eld-x and h1000 or RS Magnum. Just starting out with this caliber, is Nosler brass worth the $ or will Winchester be ok?
Buy some Peterson 300wm long, you should be able to find it unless it sold out already, but it was just a couple of weeks ago or so that a whole new batch was released. I'd try Graf's first.

Lapua, ADG, or Peterson

Norma isn't as robust as the top 3, but is good. Nosler is probably in the same tier.

That new Peterson Long offering looks like a good concept, and if reviews come in positive, it is likely to be my next 300 mag brass supply.
I just shot my first loads with it yesterday. The brass I measured was all consistent, I'm just shooting the virgin brass right now to get it sized for my chamber. When I get that done and work up a load I'll be using the same 10 to load over and over to see how long it lasts.

There is a lot of good experience around here for the 300 Win Mag. In case you haven't heard or read, ..... when you resize the case, don't push the shoulder back as far as a typical resizing die wants to do. This is because the original design of that case, (375 H&H), used the belt to set headspace. What you want to do is set the headspace with the shoulder.

Buy some Peterson 300wm long brass it has worked great in my Tikka 300WM but what has not worked great is heavier bullets. Check your twist rate before stocking up on those 212's. I find the lighter hammer bullets will work better with the slower twist rate Tikkas.

I agree with TheZigor about heavier bullets in your factory barrel. You might want to try a few first before buying for the life of the barrel. In my experience, most will group best with 180's, some will be okay with 200's, but I've not seen one yet group 210's or heavier worth a flip. You'll like your Peterson brass.