300 Win. Mag. barrel life.

I think the barrel life of the 300WM seems to depend on what the parameters of use are. Over the years I have seen 300WM barrels last to around 1000 rounds when lighter bullets(150-180gr) bullets are pushed to +3100FPS with the faster burning powders. It appears that as the long range game has developed, and loads have evolved to high BC, heavier bullets(200-230gr), and slower burning powders driven a lower velocities in the 2800-3000FPS, barrel life seems to be improved as much as +50 %. My 300WM with 210-215gr bullets driven at 2850-2900FPS are still going strong, with little sign of throat erosion at 1500 rounds. Of course, how the rifle is shot in terms of barrel temperatures, cleaning practices, and barrel design also play a role in barrel life, and my shooting habits and criteria may present different results than others. IMO.

I think the barrel life of the 300WM seems to depend on what the parameters of use are. Over the years I have seen 300WM barrels last to around 1000 rounds when lighter bullets(150-180gr) bullets are pushed to +3100FPS with the faster burning powders. It appears that as the long range game has developed, and loads have evolved to high BC, heavier bullets(200-230gr), and slower burning powders driven a lower velocities in the 2800-3000FPS, barrel life seems to be improved as much as +50 %. My 300WM with 210-215gr bullets driven at 2850-2900FPS are still going strong, with little sign of throat erosion at 1500 rounds. Of course, how the rifle is shot in terms of barrel temperatures, cleaning practices, and barrel design also play a role in barrel life, and my shooting habits and criteria may present different results than others. IMO.

That is what I kind of thought it would be. Probably have to treat it like a 6.5x284. Had one and didn't get much life out of it. I will be very careful with this one. Thanks Greyfox, been a while since i conversed with you. Hope things are well with you man.

My own experience with target barrels mirrors what Greyfox says, 1500 rounds with 200-230gr bullets is easy to obtain, I've had barrels last to 2000 round count with good accuracy, but, I've also had barrels give up at 1200 rounds. Accuracy would have been adequate for hunting, but not for targer shooting.
Just for point of reference, those barrels that didn't last were cleaned after every match, they never saw a bronze brush and had very little copper solvent put down them, most of my cleaning involved carbon removal with nylon brushes and cloth patches. Nonetheless, I believe this amount of cleaning is unnecessary and actually hurts barrel life, these days I do not clean until groups open, which in most of my barrels is around 200-300 rounds and all they get is a cloth patch and carbon solvent. I may clean copper, if it's blatantly obvious, at around 400 rounds down and onky ever use nylon brushes and cloth patches.

Cheers
gun)

My own experience with target barrels mirrors what Greyfox says, 1500 rounds with 200-230gr bullets is easy to obtain, I've had barrels last to 2000 round count with good accuracy, but, I've also had barrels give up at 1200 rounds. Accuracy would have been adequate for hunting, but not for targer shooting.
Just for point of reference, those barrels that didn't last were cleaned after every match, they never saw a bronze brush and had very little copper solvent put down them, most of my cleaning involved carbon removal with nylon brushes and cloth patches. Nonetheless, I believe this amount of cleaning is unnecessary and actually hurts barrel life, these days I do not clean until groups open, which in most of my barrels is around 200-300 rounds and all they get is a cloth patch and carbon solvent. I may clean copper, if it's blatantly obvious, at around 400 rounds down and onky ever use nylon brushes and cloth patches.

Cheers
gun)

Your comment opens up a question. What bore cleaner do you use in your barrel? I have some cleaner made by a BR guy that works well but it seems to have copper remover in it though very mild.

I agree with you on the Nylon brushes. I have used them for a very long time.

I don't go as long between cleaning like you but if it works for you it works.

I firmly believe that carbon is far worse than copper build up in a barrel after going through a 6.5x284 barrel very fast (780 rounds). Don't want to experience this again if I can avoid it.

This is not a custom barrel but still a barrel. I try to extend the shooting as much as I can. I would like to hear more input on how others treat their barrels. There is always someone that knows something different and may be helpful.

Thanks for your reply Magnum.

I use Hoppe's carbon cleaner, I do know it contains a very mild copper solvent, but I don't let it soak as per the instructions on the bottle. When cleaning copper, I use Sweets 7.62 copper cleaner.
This is important, after using Hoppe's, I ALWAYS follow with petroleum spirit (Shellite) on a patch and scrub the throat, then the bore. When using Sweets, I follow with methylated spirits on a patch and scrub the throat, then the bore. I also blow out the bore with compressed air, then a very light coat of oil, one pass and out the muzzle.
If I detect a carbon ring in the throat, I use scotch brite pads on a jag and Hoppe's and a battery drill.
Unfortunately, living in Australia, we don't get all the goodies available to you guys in the US. Would love some JB paste to try on my throats!

Cheers.
gun)

I use Hoppe's carbon cleaner, I do know it contains a very mild copper solvent, but I don't let it soak as per the instructions on the bottle. When cleaning copper, I use Sweets 7.62 copper cleaner.
This is important, after using Hoppe's, I ALWAYS follow with petroleum spirit (Shellite) on a patch and scrub the throat, then the bore. When using Sweets, I follow with methylated spirits on a patch and scrub the throat, then the bore. I also blow out the bore with compressed air, then a very light coat of oil, one pass and out the muzzle.
If I detect a carbon ring in the throat, I use scotch brite pads on a jag and Hoppe's and a battery drill.
Unfortunately, living in Australia, we don't get all the goodies available to you guys in the US. Would love some JB paste to try on my throats!

Cheers.
gun)

That is quite a bit more aggressive than I will ever try. Sweets is a very harsh solvent also. My approach is a mild cleaner called TM bore cleaner. It does have a mild copper cleaner in it and can be left overnight. I never leave it overnight though. I also use Kroil Lubricant which helps remove the carbon. The TM will remove both Copper and carbon. I never use anything but Nylon Brushes either.
I will follow up with a light coat of Kroil in the bore to be left until my next shooting session.

This is a great topic!
WRT bbl cleaning, I go with Hoppe's No 9 for 4 passes down the bbl, breach to muzzle, using a nylon brush. Then I spray a little bit of Berryman's on a patch and run it thru using a nylon brush until i think I have all the carbon and No 9 out. Then a few clean dry patches on a jag to validate that i'm clean.

If I have been shooting a lot of Barnes copper bullets (one of my rifles LOVES them), I will go thru a de-coppering exercise about every 100 rounds. What I do is everything above to get all the carbon out, then use Sweets 762. I only apply and use that stuff for 15 minutes. what I do is squirt a little bit on a patch and run it thru wrapped around a nylon brush. And I keep running the same patch over and over again. after about 5 passes, that patch is fouled. You would think the patch had been sitting in axle grease! Then I start running a patch thru on a jag. I use the same patch over and over again. And it gets real dirty, and it seems to be pulling a lot of the crap out of the rifle grooves. You can tell based on the pattern on the patch. All this de-coppering work I limit to 15 min. That's it. After that time is up (no matter what), I then work to remove all the copper solvent. And that's when I use Break Free CLP. I start running patches soaked in it wrapped around a nylyon brush. I will do about 15 passes. Then, same thing with jags - about 15 passes. That Break Free pulls out all the copper solvent and any remaining crud. Then I go back to the Berrymans and use it to get all the CLP out. A de-coppering exercise will really pull some junk out of your bbl.

This is a great topic!
WRT bbl cleaning, I go with Hoppe's No 9 for 4 passes down the bbl, breach to muzzle, using a nylon brush. Then I spray a little bit of Berryman's on a patch and run it thru using a nylon brush until i think I have all the carbon and No 9 out. Then a few clean dry patches on a jag to validate that i'm clean.

If I have been shooting a lot of Barnes copper bullets (one of my rifles LOVES them), I will go thru a de-coppering exercise about every 100 rounds. What I do is everything above to get all the carbon out, then use Sweets 762. I only apply and use that stuff for 15 minutes. what I do is squirt a little bit on a patch and run it thru wrapped around a nylon brush. And I keep running the same patch over and over again. after about 5 passes, that patch is fouled. You would think the patch had been sitting in axle grease! Then I start running a patch thru on a jag. I use the same patch over and over again. And it gets real dirty, and it seems to be pulling a lot of the crap out of the rifle grooves. You can tell based on the pattern on the patch. All this de-coppering work I limit to 15 min. That's it. After that time is up (no matter what), I then work to remove all the copper solvent. And that's when I use Break Free CLP. I start running patches soaked in it wrapped around a nylyon brush. I will do about 15 passes. Then, same thing with jags - about 15 passes. That Break Free pulls out all the copper solvent and any remaining crud. Then I go back to the Berrymans and use it to get all the CLP out. A de-coppering exercise will really pull some junk out of your bbl.

I use the Kroil because of it's ability to get underneath the carbon. Makes the process so much easier. We all have our own way of cleaning. I believe a clean barrel is what you should start with. I clean down to the bare metal every time.

What is the expected life of the barrel. I know that shooting, loads, and cleaning properly plays in the formula.
What has been your experience with it?

My 300 win has stole my heart. It is truly the one rifle I will never be without. My round count has passed 1500 rounds and the accuracy is same as day one. This rifle with 215 Bergers will shoot .3 moa groups from a bipod and rear bag on a regular basis. .5 moa at 1000 and beyond. The rifle has now logged 31 big game cold bore one shot kills with the 215's alone. Those shots were from 200 yards to 1300. I have and always do clean with BoreTech Eliminator. BTE has corrosion protection so I never add oil to the bore after cleaning. This process for me has proven to make the first shot from a clean rifle go into group.

Gotta love a good 300 win mag. I get 3035 fps with a 215 Berger from its Broughton 5C 28" barrel.

Jeff

My 300 win has stole my heart. It is truly the one rifle I will never be without. My round count has passed 1500 rounds and the accuracy is same as day one. This rifle with 215 Bergers will shoot .3 moa groups from a bipod and rear bag on a regular basis. .5 moa at 1000 and beyond. The rifle has now logged 31 big game cold bore one shot kills with the 215's alone. Those shots were from 200 yards to 1300. I have and always do clean with BoreTech Eliminator. BTE has corrosion protection so I never add oil to the bore after cleaning. This process for me has proven to make the first shot from a clean rifle go into group.

Gotta love a good 300 win mag. I get 3035 fps with a 215 Berger from its Broughton 5C 28" barrel.

Jeff

I keep a very light coat of the Kroil until I leave home. Clean out the Kroil and I am GTG. When my barrel is ready for replacement I will look at the Broughton barrel though I have a very good Bartlein on my .260. 30" 1:8.5 heavy on a Savage F-Class Target action. Shoots well.

I don't know a thing about the 300 and bought it on a whim. I have a love affair with .308 and .260. Wanted to try something different.

My cleaning is a little different and the products as well but in the end I believe clean is godly. Marine Corps training perhaps. I hear guys cleaning only after accuracy loss is evident. Others claim 200 rounds before they clean. I clean no matter how many rounds i shoot though i do not go over 40 rounds ever. I know this may not be possible for all shooting but I like a clean barrel. I don't shoot in competition so it is easy for me to clean this way.

It all boils down to the individual. I always say, "Whatever blows you britches leg up"

Jeff

Just read over your post again. Impressive rifle you have there. I would love it also. 1300 yd. shooting is out of my reach where i am. Might get to 500 here shortly. Seems like the 215 Berger is the bullet everyone suggests. I have way too many 168-190 gr. bullets in my inventory to get very many more different bullets. I may have to try them after i see how it is going to shoot. 300-500 yds. isn't much of a challenge for that bullet.

I am not set in my ways as to not try other products or methods for cleaning. BTE might eliminate a step in my cleaning regimen. Worth a try anyway.

Both of my .308's shoot the first round in the group also. So does the .260. Amazing little round.

Thanks for sharing the info. Next trip to GS i will look for the BTE.

Jeff

Just read over your post again. Impressive rifle you have there. I would love it also. 1300 yd. shooting is out of my reach where i am. Might get to 500 here shortly. Seems like the 215 Berger is the bullet everyone suggests. I have way too many 168-190 gr. bullets in my inventory to get very many more different bullets. I may have to try them after i see how it is going to shoot. 300-500 yds. isn't much of a challenge for that bullet.

I am not set in my ways as to not try other products or methods for cleaning. BTE might eliminate a step in my cleaning regimen. Worth a try anyway.

Both of my .308's shoot the first round in the group also. So does the .260. Amazing little round.

Thanks for sharing the info. Next trip to GS i will look for the BTE.

I feel the same about the 300WM. Just discovered it when I moved to N Colorado.
The 300 bucks wind phenomenally ! Where I am the wind can bitch slap my 243 and 308. Not so much my WM

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts