300 win mag and 215 Berger questions

The close on weight is a good thing. But compare the Federal in weight to a few other brass types like Nosler, ADG, Winchester etc. Maybe some friends have different brass you could weigh to compare it to your brass.

i have some hornady brass I wasnt going to use I'm curious to weigh it now though I'll have to do that today. I don't know anyone else that shoots 300 win mag so that may be the best I can do right now

i have some hornady brass I wasnt going to use I'm curious to weigh it now though I'll have to do that today. I don't know anyone else that shoots 300 win mag so that may be the best I can do right now

RCC makes great brass. They make 300WM brass. Kinda spendy though. But if you figure you can get 3to4 times as many firings and no longer worry about inconsistent brass causing problems then its worth it.

Never used it. Believe its made by Norma. Norma brass tends to be soft imo.
Top choices:
Rws
RCC
Lapua
Peterson
Nosler/Norma
But personally I found Winchester brass to be plenty good for hunting rifles. Its needs to be standardized and prepped but the material make up is good and holds up well with hot loads.
Annealing every 3rd or 4th firing. Neck turn. Clean up primer pockets.
I've found that once they're all prepped they are quite consistent weight wise.

How's sig brass? Is it abm? Found some for a good price but tried searching for info on it and All I came up with is a few people guessing it might be abm brass but not sure and no real review on how it holds up that I can find

So I am starting to come to the conclusion that what a few members have mentioned must be correct. The bore of this rifle must be tight. I went back to the range today with a totally different load. Hornady 208 grain bthp, hornady once fired brass, once again h1000 and fed 215m primers. Hodgdon website claims 78 grains max charge for a 208 with velocity of 2869. At 73.8 grains I got 2873 and at 74.1 I got a duplicate 2873. At 74.4 I got 2886 and very faint ejector marks. Lower at 73.5 I had 2842. I am once again matching velocities at lower charge weights with a totally different bullet / case combo. Bullets were seated 0.030 off the lands. Rifle chamber and bore were completely clean and dry before starting and I fired a few lower charges to foul barrel prior to start. I think it's just a fast barrel but I will be retesting Berger's and federal brass to double check my previous numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.