300 win mag 210 vld

OK will do. Thanks for the quick reply broz. Sorry guess I forgot about the bullets. Those were all shot with the 210. What do u think about the es and sd numbers? Yeah I was pretty nervous. Never shot through a chronograph before. The two groups with the pulls had potential. Both of the groups were .5 .6 oto tell the pulls

OK will do. Thanks for the quick reply broz. Sorry guess I forgot about the bullets. Those were all shot with the 210. What do u think about the es and sd numbers? Yeah I was pretty nervous. Never shot through a chronograph before. The two groups with the pulls had potential. Both of the groups were .5 .6 oto tell the pulls

I want to see it repeat and see what the next ES samples are before I would settle in. They all have potential I think

Jeff

OK I'll load a group for all seating depths again same charges and see if the numbers repeat before moving on to charge weights.

coastbuck,
Ok. Lets just start over instead of jumping around and getting aggravated. I would suggest you drop back to the lowest powder charge listed for either the RETUMBO or H4831 SC and redo the seating depth testing. Lets find/confirm that again and then work your load back up in half grain increments until you get to two grains below maximum then drop the tenth grain increments checking for pressure signs and accuracy as you go up in charge. The seating depth accuracy node usually only occurs once. The velocity accuracy node may repeat as you go up in charge. It usually starts either with a "large" or "small" group and then closes or opens up as the charge is increased then starts to repeat the process. Think of the group on the targets as a "sine" wave on an oscilloscope . The rifle will tell you how high you can go in velocity. Its work , but it pays off in the end. Keep a good loading log book and only change ONE thing at a time.
Hope this helps!

I might have missed the post that described this, but what Seating Depth increment do you use when running this experiment?

I just use bergers recommend seating depth test. Then take the best one and start adjusting in and out to see what it likes. If it likes the adjustment I keep going tell groups open up looking for the sweet spot. The coal that were just recently test were from 3.540 to 3.520

I was thinking you would want to cover more seating depth range to figure out the sweet spot.

How far is the bullet from the lands with your current COAL?

Shtrrdy I cover -100 off for seating depth in my test yesterday. The strings I mentioned were the only ones I thought would be working off of. The strings yesterday were from .20 to .40 off in .10 increaments. Did some loads today in some freaking tuff conditions and it made group judging hard. Had constant 20 mph wind to 40 mph gust, what can I say coastal winter weather lol.

String #1 . 20 off coal 3.540. 75 grains h1000 cci 250
Velocity 2783 2807 2789. Average 2793 es 24 sd 12. Group lil over inch ctc

String# 2 .20 off 76 h1000. Had 3 brass left over and ready to go so loaded it up.
Velocity 2855 2830 2830 average 2838 es 25 sd 14 group lil over inch ctc. No pressure signs.

String# 3. .30 off 75 h1000 coal 3.530
Velocity 2807 2795 2789 average 2797 es 18 sd 9 group lil over inch ctc

String 4 .40 off 75 h1000 coal 3.520
Velocity 2789 2783 2801 average 2791 es 18 sd 9. Group lil over inch ctc.

Glad to see the data is pretty close in the numbers again. I shouldn't of went out and shot today in those conditions but got limited time with the chronograph. I think I got a window as far as my seating depth goes. Groups on the other hand I know can be tighter I'm gonna blame the conditions lol. Think I'm gonna just keep working with these 3 seating depths and try going up in charge weight and which ever one looks the best at the end of the day I guess is my load. Most of the groups had two touching or almost touching then either it was me or the conditions and it would open the groups up.

Morning, I have a custom made 300w. got a Wilson barrel. w/brake 30". I shoot

167,180, and 200 all with the same charge of 78.5grs. powder H-4831. the 200 is

a little stiff on the bolt lift. could back off .5grs. I shot 12shots cover with a 50cent

piece. the 300w is by for one the best long range calibers. a person can not go wrong

with this caliber.

Jc thanks for the input. Tested some more groups today before the rain. All groups seemed to repeat from yesterday. Guess I need to take a break or something. But any who here is my data.

-30 off 76 grains h1000 cci 250
Velocity 2830 2830 2812 average 2824 es 18 sd 10 group lil over inch ctc

-30 76.5 h1000
Velocity 2836 2830 2801. Average 2824 es 29 sd 15 group lil over inch ctc. No pressure signs

-30 77 h1000
Velocity 2879 2873 2867. Average 2873 es 12 sd 6. Group lil over an inch ctc. No pressure signs, but I'm calling that good for charge weight. Plenty of velocity for me. Gonna give it a few days before I shoot it again let weather calm down, and see if I can tighten groups up. Think I'm starting to get target panic or something lol.

Give u all a update on my load progression. First I would like to say sorry for dragging this thread out so long and thank you to whoever has help along the way. Getting ready for crab season and hunting really slowed me down on my load development. But here are my results with h1000. Finally got to use a chronograph for the first time so freaking cool and nervous lol.

String #1. H1000 75 grains .20 thousands off lands.
Velocity 2783 2783 2789. Average 2785. Es 6. Sd 3. 2 touching at .5 made big pilot foul opened group to 1inch CTC

String #2 h1000 75 grains .30 thousands off lands
Velocity 2795 2795 2818. Average 2802. Es 23. Sd 13. Group .3 ctc

String #3 h1000 75 grains 40 thousands off lands.
Velocity 2783 2801 2801. average 2795. Es 18 sd 10. Group 2 touching slight pull group 1 inch ctc
Oops forgot all strings had cci 250 primers.

So the question is now what to do lol would like to get a little more velocity. Would like to be in the 2850 range. Should I just retest all seating depths and bring my charges up gradually? None off the loads above had any signs of pressure.
coastbuck,
I agree with Broz on the re-test. BUT remember! VELOCITY is nice but ACCURACY is KING! From your post it looks like you are getting off your great accuracy node with the 75 grains and .020 off the lands. And it looks like you are changing 2 things at a time when you test and that's a recipe for disaster. I would suggest you work your load up slowly from the 75 grains using the .020 off the lands and see what you come up with. And as Broz says. "SEE IF IT REPEATS". The SD of 3 is going to be hard to beat.

Probably right barefooter. I did retest the 75 grains and .20 off again and the numbers went up. Maybe it was the conditions. That first day of testing was barely cloudy day. And the next day was straight over cast crap. Would that affect numbers at all? The only reason I tried .30 off was because it gave the best group. You are right accuracy is the key and not velocity. I got to wait for this weather to clear out before I can do anymore testing, and hopefully I can borrow the chronograph again.

Probably right barefooter. I did retest the 75 grains and .20 off again and the numbers went up. Maybe it was the conditions. That first day of testing was barely cloudy day. And the next day was straight over cast crap. Would that affect numbers at all? The only reason I tried .30 off was because it gave the best group. You are right accuracy is the key and not velocity. I got to wait for this weather to clear out before I can do anymore testing, and hopefully I can borrow the chronograph again.
try it again. If you can get a MAGNETO SPEED chronograph that would be the best and they work the same in all light conditions.

Sorry to revive my old dead thread lol but wanted to see what you guys thought of my group at 1000 yards for the first time. Mainly my vertical of my load.

Attachments

• IMG_20160318_150534422.jpg
    IMG_20160318_150534422.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.