.300 Win Mag, 180 grain bullet & Retumbo

No, my Sendero likes RL25 with the 180,(3,175fps) which I am sure you know is a tiny bit faster than Retumbo.
I am no expert concerning burning rates, but it seemed I was close to the optimum here.
I will soon be trying the 200 Accubond with the hopes of obtaining 3,000-3,025 or so & I feel Retumbo will be better suited for 200's than 180's, but that is only an opinion.

I feel that Retumbo is on the slow side for the 300 Win.
Retumbo works well in the 300 RUM. I shoot H-1000 in my 300 Win and it is on the slow side with 180 grain bullet so velocity is not as high as with other powders,but consistence is great. H-1000 is a tad faster than Retumbo

jwp475,

How much H1000 are you using and which 180 grain bullet are you using? What is your velocity?

Thanks.

81 grains H1000 has been great in my 300 win and has been a very good load mentioned many times here on the internet chat rooms. You guys are right...I've run rutumbo under the 200 grain accubond....hogden doesn't recomend it for bullets lighter than 200 grain (they say inconsistant ignition). I think my 24" savage was cranking about 2975 which is pretty respectable for that big long bullet. It was an EXTREMELY compressed load under the big long accubond. I've been getting around 3100 out of 180s with the 81 grain load of H1000 and it shoots accubond and bt's very very nicely.

I have not tried Retumbo with 180's.However,+1 on Kraky's experience with Retumbo/200 Accubond.Used the load from Hodgdon's manual for the 200 gr. Partitian,substituted an Accubond,as per Nosler tech.Out of a 24" Hart,realized 2968 fps. with consistant accuracy of 3/8"!!!I would always shoot this load as a confidence enhancer while testing other loads to insure my shooting wasn't at fault!This load of Retumbo was so compressed that you had to jump up and down on the press handle to seat this long Accubond over 84 grs.I have since gone to H-1000 with a 168 TSX.Very consistant and my favorite load.FWIW.
Jim

H1000 is definately a better choice over the retumbo in this application. H1000 is very stable under most 180gr bullets, but you will be leaving some velocity on the table unless you have a longer barrel. H4831, or H4831SC will get more velocity than either Retumbo, or H1000 in a 26" barrel. Its what I launched my 180gr Partitions with back in the day.... like.... 2 years ago.

nobody has mentioned RL22 yet, I have had several 300WM,s over the years and with 180's it has been the powder of choice in my rifles. at least give it a try.
UB

Do you mind sharing the HSC 4831 load data? I currently use IMR 4350 out of a 26" tube with 180's and get superb accuracy at 3170 FPS but I am looking into an extreme powder.

Takman,

Just my opinion, but if you are getting 3,170 with superb accuracy with IMR 4350...I wouldn't touch a thing. My limited experience with IMR powders in the .300 Win Mag hasn't shown temperature insensitivity to be an issue.

Haven't tried it yet. Probably won't.

I'm using 72 gr AA3100, WLR primer, and 180 Nosler BT with very good accuracy (~1" @ 100 yd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) in my Browning A Bolt (no BOSS) 26" barrel "Stalker."

Just bought a chronograph and haven't used it with this load yet, so no FPS data.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.