.300 win, 212eldx, retumbo

Retumbo is a good powder but I've heard it can produce flyers and I seemed to have that issue when I tried it a few years back in a 65x284.

I'm building a 300wm chambered for the 215 Berger and want to use H1000 if at all possible.

Regarding brass, I recently purchased 3 new boxes of Nosler on Gunbroker. I know it's spendy but it's top shelf.

I had pretty good luck with my 6.5284 and retumbo. Just not the velo I wanted (2800 w/143)

I think I'll try retumbo and see since I have a ton of it, then I'm going to move on to h1000.

Really wanna be around the velo 3k mark if I can

I tried 79gr of Retumbo with 212 ELD-x and Fed 215 Primers and got velocities in the 2970 fps range but averaged a flyer every 5 or 6 shots. The rifle I used was a long action with a long throat and still with seating the bullets out (3.5 OAL) this was a very compressed load. Velocities were surprising but pressure didn't seem excessive. Other than the flyers, accuracy was good. Overall I don't like very compressed loads so I didn't try to sort out the flyer business and just went to another load.
Awesome. Thanks for that info. I'll see since it wont hurt. Ive got a few lbs of it. Id like to not be compressed as well if I can.

I tried 79gr of Retumbo with 212 ELD-x and Fed 215 Primers and got velocities in the 2970 fps range but averaged a flyer every 5 or 6 shots. The rifle I used was a long action with a long throat and still with seating the bullets out (3.5 OAL) this was a very compressed load. Velocities were surprising but pressure didn't seem excessive. Other than the flyers, accuracy was good. Overall I don't like very compressed loads so I didn't try to sort out the flyer business and just went to another load.
I use the same load and have not experienced flyers. It's a consistent .5MOA performer.

I have had very good results using 79 gr of Retumbo, producing about 75FPS more velocity before pressure signs compared to H1000 in my 300WM Mil Spec 700. Precision and ES is comparable betweeen the two powders.

I've never run retumbo, just H1000 on heavies so no insight there. I do have plenty of experience with all different brands of brass for the win mag though. Hornady would be about last on my list. Right along with win, rem, fed. I'd run Sig long before those. ADG if you can find it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.