.300 win, 212eldx, retumbo

Backcountry_IDN

Ive been told by many to use h1000. But, I have a bunch of retumbo. Before I start and "waste" anytime if you'd like to call it that, curious if anyone is using this powder and projectiles.

Curious on velo and accuracy.
(Obviously it's different out of every barrel)

I cant seem to get ADG brass so I'm going to go buy some hornady brass this week.

Specs:

26inch barrel 1 1/2" brake
1:10 5r xcaliber cryogenics done

Thanks for any and all advice, comments and anything else
0326191739a_HDR.jpg

I tried Retumbo in my Savage LRH, 24" barrel, and got a few insanely high velocities according to my records, when running near max book loads. I was using a Shooting Chrony though, so I'd consider my numbers suspect. I don't remember exactly why I quit using it and went to H1000. I have a couple "keeper" groups hanging over my bench, with Retumbo and 210 Nosler ABLR.

Obvious disclaimer. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. These numbers are averages across different brass types, with considerable variation between Federal mil-spec, Remington, and MAI (Norma).

200 ELDX, 77.8 Ret, ~2920 fps.
208 HPBTM, 80.5 Ret, ~3000 fps
200 Accubond, 81 Ret, ~3050 fps
210 NABLR, 77.8 Ret, ~2910 fps

In retrospect, even if my chrony was suspect, some of these loads resulted in worn out brass pretty quickly. No extraction issues that I noted, but I'm pretty sure the >4000 ft pounders were on the ragged edge.

I tried Retumbo in my Savage LRH, 24" barrel, and got a few insanely high velocities according to my records, when running near max book loads. I was using a Shooting Chrony though, so I'd consider my numbers suspect. I don't remember exactly why I quit using it and went to H1000. I have a couple "keeper" groups hanging over my bench, with Retumbo and 210 Nosler ABLR.

Obvious disclaimer. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. These numbers are averages across different brass types, with considerable variation between Federal mil-spec, Remington, and MAI (Norma).

200 ELDX, 77.8 Ret, ~2920 fps.
208 HPBTM, 80.5 Ret, ~3000 fps
200 Accubond, 81 Ret, ~3050 fps
210 NABLR, 77.8 Ret, ~2910 fps

In retrospect, even if my chrony was suspect, some of these loads resulted in worn out brass pretty quickly. No extraction issues that I noted, but I'm pretty sure the >4000 ft pounders were on the ragged edge.
Awesome. Thank you for that info.

Have you contacted any of there dealers.

I have not. I didnt know there were dealers. I'll check on their web. Thanks!!

Retumbo is a good powder but I've heard it can produce flyers and I seemed to have that issue when I tried it a few years back in a 65x284.

I'm building a 300wm chambered for the 215 Berger and want to use H1000 if at all possible.

Regarding brass, I recently purchased 3 new boxes of Nosler on Gunbroker. I know it's spendy but it's top shelf.

I tried 79gr of Retumbo with 212 ELD-x and Fed 215 Primers and got velocities in the 2970 fps range but averaged a flyer every 5 or 6 shots. The rifle I used was a long action with a long throat and still with seating the bullets out (3.5 OAL) this was a very compressed load. Velocities were surprising but pressure didn't seem excessive. Other than the flyers, accuracy was good. Overall I don't like very compressed loads so I didn't try to sort out the flyer business and just went to another load.

Retumbo is a good powder but I've heard it can produce flyers and I seemed to have that issue when I tried it a few years back in a 65x284.

I'm building a 300wm chambered for the 215 Berger and want to use H1000 if at all possible.

Regarding brass, I recently purchased 3 new boxes of Nosler on Gunbroker. I know it's spendy but it's top shelf.
I use 79gr with 212Eldx, Fed215, for 3050fps in 26" bbl
I use 79gr with 212Eldx, Fed215, for 3050fps in 26" bbl
Aussie... you don't hit sub sonic till past 1500 yards with your load...awesome dude!

I am shooting a 300 weatherby mag with 210 accubond LR loaded with 80.6 gr of RL26 and get SD of 8 at 3085 fps. I know it's not a win mag but may give the RL26 a try with H1000 82.7gr It was around 2935 fps.
Nice! Thanks for that. Id like to keep my velo around 3k. But who knows. We will see what she likes. I'll give the rest of my retumbo a try then move to a different powder if I cant find anything it likes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.