300 Weatherby - Vanguard - Max COAL?

Muddyboots

I may buy the Vanguard since I can get it pretty cheap ($200). Small guy big recoil has him soured and just wants it gone. AT 6'4" 260 I don't mind recoil (love shooting slugs off bench! - I know masochist!). So if I can it cheap (maybe 40 rounds through it), I want to add Timney and BC stock. BUT before I do so, what is the max COAL and does it restrict the longer heavier bullets?

I have a Sendero in 300WM but think this would be nice addition to launch bigger bullets.

Thoughts?
Thx
Muddy

Are you referring to the mag limitation or the freebore?
Weatherby often has so much freebore that you can't get a bullet to touch the case and lands at the same time. Kind of stupid from an accuracy standpoint, but reduces peak pressures.

It's a very fine rifle ,I've owned one a reloaded for it , all I changed out was the factory trigger , I'll check my notes and see if I can help you ....,at that price, just Buy it you can't go wrong !!! Cheers

I had one, trigger needs changed in my opinion.
I ran it single shot, and was getting 2975fps with 225 eld.
3000 FPS with 208s and 215s.
Accuracy can be found at mag length, but I never load a mag, so I didn't pursue it.

3.56" mag length
You can get to 3.7" by using AICS mags and replacement bottom metal.
You would need to single fire 300wby rounds with long bullets

3.56" mag length
You can get to 3.7" by using AICS mags and replacement bottom metal.
You would need to single fire 300wby rounds with long bullets

I have an S2 vanguard and that is the max coal is mine as well. I switched to AICS mags but I can only get 3.610. I can't find bottom metal to use longer mags. What bottom metal are you referring to?

If you are planning on shooting 208's and up you will definitely have to single feed. 180, 190 and some 200's you can load to mag length.

Since 200 AB is 3.550 off Nosler data it doesn't sound like I can do much with it except single feed. I will buy just to have as a build rifle, go to AICS, BC stock, Timney trigger and it should be decent enough rifle for the yardage I shoot while hunting. Blasphemy, I may trade him a Savage Axis 6.5 CM I won earlier this year. Still has tags on it and NIB.

I have an S2 vanguard and that is the max coal is mine as well. I switched to AICS mags but I can only get 3.610. I can't find bottom metal to use longer mags. What bottom metal are you referring to?
Sorry I'm wrong, I'm 3.635" is the length.
Pt&g bottom metal

Sorry I'm wrong, I'm 3.635" is the length.
Pt&g bottom metal

Thanks for clarifying. You got me all super excited for a second. OP, The mag length on the vanguards is a problem I think. I have a gunsmith that is willing to try to put a Wyatt's box in it but I'm concerned about spending the money if it doesn't work. Wyatt's sells a "Weatherby" box but I don't know if it is meant for a mark v or a vanguard or if they are even very different. I haven't looked at a mark v.

Thanks for a lot of good info, it was appreciated! I was hoping to get some added COAL for added case capacity realizing the freebore will always be a problem. But as we all know some rifles will shoot pretty good off the lands so I am hoping this will be one of those. The price is right just to play with it to see what it can do. I've always had a soft spot for the 300Wby so this will check the box for me. Maybe I will rebarrel down the road and set up throat differently to match the COAL.
Thx,
Muddy

The Weatherby freebore in 300Wby is .361 making it close to impossible to touch the lands.
That free bore may limit peak pressures but I manage to open up primer pockets anyway. Sure is fun watching the chrony go over 3,000 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.