.300 weatherby Swift bullets

69firebird

Looking for load data and experience with 150-165gr Swifts (A frame or scirocco).

For my wife so got to keep recoil down some for her Accumark. Ive got a good supply of H1000, just what I can get easy for the weatherbys.

Moose, elk, bear.

How reduced to do you want to go? H4895 can be used in the 300 weatherby at greatly reduced recoil and velocity.

Here is how.
https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

Then look up load data for the H4895 in your caliber and can reduce by up to 60% of max load listed as a starting load.
Hodgdon lists data for 150 grain TSX max load of H4895 of 61.5 grains. That can put your starting load down in the 42 grain range with velocity SWAG of approx 2100fps. Can work up to comfort level for her from there.

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

IMHO If I am going to reduce velocity down into the lets say 2500 - 2900 fps range I would use a softer bullet than the Swifts, like Nosler 165 grain hunting ballistic tip. Hodgdon has load data for it with H4895 also. Be a smack down load for slower speeds!

Thanks for the info. 3000fps- 3100 should be good that brings it down around a 300 Win with 180gr bullet. Which she handles. And the weatherbys a little heavier.

I do not like the nosler BT had bad experience out of a .308 with 150gr BT on a whitetail!

I reload mainly partitions but tip deformation drives me nuts.

The Lyman 47th edition manual lists a load of 69 grs of H-380 with the 165 gr Hornady Interlock with a velocity of 2967 ft/sec. It's a starting load so it should be a safe one. Might work for your wife. You could try probably any 165 gr bullet with this charge.

3000fps- 3100 should be good that brings it down around a 300 Win with 180gr bullet. Which she handles. And the weatherbys a little heavier.

I certainly wouldn't consider that speed range as downloaded so a stronger made bullet IS in order, I much prefer the Accubond jacket construction over the Swift in general. I just get more copper fouling with the swifts than with the Accubonds. Swift may have the edge a bit on terminal performance but a smidge at best. Whichever shoots best in your gun.

I've got some 180gr Accubonds sitting here. Never shot anything with them, havnt loaded them cause I didn't like the nos green BT.

I've got some old Nos solid base 150s that I shoot moose with in my 7mm weatherby I think my muzzle velocitys 3200. Wish they still made those

I've got some old Nos solid base 150s that I shoot moose with in my 7mm weatherby I think my muzzle velocitys 3200. Wish they still made those

They do now and most shooter just don't recognize because of a bad NBT experience in the past. The "Hunting" Ballistic Tip IS a old "Solid Base" with a polymer tip and THICKER jacket in place. Check out the cut away, it IS the old Solid Base design. I had the exact same opinion of the NBT's. But after much jug testing I gave them a try again a couple of years ago, WOW these ain't our grandpas Ballistic Tips, very tough pill and extremely dramatic DRT's on medium game, (NOT a moose. LOL)

Check em out and specifically look at the Solid Base Registered Trade Mark. Sectional Density is a tad light for a cup and core bullet design in the 150 grain .308 version but it will hold up fine in the 165, 168 and especially the 180 grain version. Not made for a moose but have their place on the shelf.....180 Accubond on the otherhand is one of the top big game bullets made.

https://www.nosler.com/ballistic-tip-bullet/

I know what your saying about the 'solid base' with a tip is now the NBT but

Regarding the 150 gr NBT in .30 cal--- loaded in my 308 i shot at a deer about 60 yards through small brush and the bullet never made it. I saw where it hit the brush. So I figured I just hit a branch right on. Well next day I shoot a deer 80 yards in raspberry canes and it drops. As I walk up it stands up front shoulder messed. I killed it and investigated my first shot placement, and there was a 6" wound on the scapula but went no deeper, just mashed the skin and meat and stopped at the bone.. That was the end of me and NBT's. And made me wonder about the Accubonds.

Prior to that I had shot a whitetail facing me just over 100 yards and the NBTs jellied everything inside.

After that it would be hard for me to try 150gr + on heavy game.

Have loaded partitions for a long time but I want to try the Swifts again for my wife

How reduced to do you want to go? H4895 can be used in the 300 weatherby at greatly reduced recoil and velocity.

Here is how.
https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

Then look up load data for the H4895 in your caliber and can reduce by up to 60% of max load listed as a starting load.
Hodgdon lists data for 150 grain TSX max load of H4895 of 61.5 grains. That can put your starting load down in the 42 grain range with velocity SWAG of approx 2100fps. Can work up to comfort level for her from there.

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

IMHO If I am going to reduce velocity down into the lets say 2500 - 2900 fps range I would use a softer bullet than the Swifts, like Nosler 165 grain hunting ballistic tip. Hodgdon has load data for it with H4895 also. Be a smack down load for slower speeds!

So we loaded some 180 Nos ABs for 2800-2900fps (will have to double check with the chronograph when the weathers better). Trying a few different powder charges.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.