300 Weatherby loads and bullets

aurandbd

I just recently purchased a Weatherby 300 wthy mag Vanguard Sub-MOA stainless for hunting out west.

My preference is to shoot the Barnes TSX .308 165 gr BT for game up to and including Elk. I was looking for another bullet that would have a similar shape and aerodynamic profile for range shooting. For this, I'm looking at the Sierra 165 gr HPBT GameKing. Is this a comperable bullet or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, I'm starting with Norma brass and CCI Large Rifle Mag primers. For powder, I wanted to try both:
IMR 4831 starting at 78gr, with a max of 82gr
IMR 4350 starting at 76gr, with a max of 80gr

Any advice on my approach? I hope to target shoot this out to 500 yards.

Thanks in advance

I reload for several 300 wby. The powders you list will work and may be accurate but the gun responds better to slower powders like re22 and I7828. I have one weatherby that absolutely loves retumbo which is even slower.

Re you practice bullet the sierra you list is usually very very accurate and should work well. If you'd like to save some money go over to noslers retail outlet called shooters proshop. Right now they have a heck of a deal on some 150 solid bases bullets at $6.55/50. These are really accurate and I love to plink with them out of my 300 win mag with slightly reduced loads. They would proably fly a bit faster than the tsx you mention but would still have a similar flight path making for cheap practice. Take a look here and also look around the site for other bullets.....heck of a deal on partitions for 308 and other calibers. A note about their shipping.....it's usually about $12 flat rate so try and get a decent sized order together....maybe call a friend and get some stuff for him too.....that's what I do.

Nosler Shooter's Pro Shop - Factory seconds and hunting supplies.

Thanks Kraky. I noticed that Hodgdon's web site doesn't like to recommend the Retumbo, unless you are shooting a heavier bullet in the 200-220 gr range. Do you remember if you were shooting a heavier load when your gun liked the retumbo? Their web site went on to recommend H1000 for the 165 gr bullet for this gun. Anyone have experience with the H1000 powder in this config?

I also noticed that the web site went a few grains lighter on my IMR powder recommending 73-78 gr for IMR 4831 and 70-75 gr for IMR 4350. Anyone have any thoughts on where to start with these two IMR powders?

I reload for several 300 wby. The powders you list will work and may be accurate but the gun responds better to slower powders like re22 and I7828. I have one weatherby that absolutely loves retumbo which is even slower.

Re you practice bullet the sierra you list is usually very very accurate and should work well. If you'd like to save some money go over to noslers retail outlet called shooters proshop. Right now they have a heck of a deal on some 150 solid bases bullets at $6.55/50. These are really accurate and I love to plink with them out of my 300 win mag with slightly reduced loads. They would proably fly a bit faster than the tsx you mention but would still have a similar flight path making for cheap practice. Take a look here and also look around the site for other bullets.....heck of a deal on partitions for 308 and other calibers. A note about their shipping.....it's usually about $12 flat rate so try and get a decent sized order together....maybe call a friend and get some stuff for him too.....that's what I do.

Nosler Shooter's Pro Shop - Factory seconds and hunting supplies.

i agree with kraky.i had a 300 weatherby and now have a 300win mag.they both shot much better with slower powders like re22 and imr 7828-h1000.my rifles usually did not shoot thier best near max,about 2 grains from max.i would however i my opinion and just my opinion would use 200 grain bullets.these are big animals.165's will do the job.if you are going to spend a lot of money on this trip.take plenty of foot lbs of energy to drive that bullet deep through the vitals.and in the event you hit one on the shoulder area,you will probably be happy you had 200 grain bullets.if not long range nosler partition,long range accubond.my .02 cents.jason

The bullets I used with retumbo were the 200 accubond and the 180 tsx. I believe I wound up at about 86.0 on the AB and a little over 88 on the tsx. These loads shot very well in an extremely fussy 300 wby ultralight. I can even push the limit as far as shooting fairly quickly and the groups don't open up. Not sure why I guess that slow powder just makes the vibes perfect in the barrel.

Here is another site you might want to visit for wby owners. Go to weatherby reloading for other load info.

Weatherby Rifles Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thanks all, again.

I'm leaning toward buying the H1000 powder. Hodgon suggests starting at 84 gr and moving up to 89. Does this match with what others have done?

Again, I"m using the Norma brass who manufactures for Weatherby.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.