300 W/M. ADG Brass Berger 215 hybrid Question?

Thundercat

I have new 300 wm adg brass to load. Question is what brass prep. What would you do.?
Neck wall is .014
Neck O.D. Is. .3335.
This will create .0025. Neck tension.
I have Forster bushing die .332 Dia. This creates neck dia. Of .334
I want to run Berger 215 hybrids
I think this brass is very good.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I have new 300 wm adg brass to load. Question is what brass prep. What would you do.?
Neck wall is .014
Neck O.D. Is. .3335.
I'd weigh it for consistency and then mic the necks to see how consistent they are. Your chamber will determine if there's any need for neck turning but the more I concentrate on consistent neck tension the more accurate and consistent myloads get.

More and more the idea for me seems to be just enough neck tension to seat the bullet and then I use a Lee Factory Crimp die to put just a slight crimp on them so they are all as consistent as possible.

Neck wall is .014
Neck O.D. Is. .3335.
That's probably a bit more tension than you want, as they may not seat consistently. It will be okay on first firing, forming brass to your chamber.

I had a Forester FL die that reduced neck ID to .003"+ under caliber. That was great for me because I use a .002" under caliber mandrel to set my final neck tension. That gave me a consistent tension of .002" and smooth, consistent bullet seating. Keep in mind, that true neck "tension" is more about how much of the neck is sized, than how much you reduce neck ID.

Some of the smallest groups being shot today are with .005+ neck tension. The powder you plan to use will determine the amount of neck tension that your combo will like. Test light and heavy, there is no one size fits all here.

Is that .014 neck thickness advertised or actual?

I have some I'm prepping right now, my mic gets in next week. Was planning to turn them down to .014.

A note on the neck tension from the factory brass for those not going the expander route...while expanding these all out ahead of neck turning...the felt tension varied a good bit on 3 boxes from the same lot using the xxicsi neck turning mandrel/kit. I believe that expander mandrel is .307.

This is my load:
300 win mag
ABM 2x brass
N570 at 78.8 grains
215 Berger hybrid
215M primer
0.06 seating depth
Wilson neck bushing 334

This is my load:
300 win mag
ABM 2x brass
N570 at 78.8 grains
215 Berger hybrid
215M primer
0.06 seating depth
Wilson neck bushing 334

Neck wall thickness and tension you're getting with that 334 bushing? Is that for a measured .014 neck thickness and setting .002 tension?

I didn't measure it. The 335 bushing could be pulled out by hand with effort. I increased to 334 and my groups improved. I mainly go by feel while seating with arbor press.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.